Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I AM the crazy cat lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I AM the crazy cat lady

OK, (and Sally you were the first person that I thought of...I know you understand) San Antonio has a HUGE stray animal problem. To the point that there were so many animals in the animal shelters that they've had to close them to new intakes twice so far this summer.

In my household now we have Darla (from the shelter in Alexandria, VA), Trouble, (the stray I found on my roof after a hail storm here in SA), Nicki (the diabetic who waltzed her pregnant self into the backyard and never left, also here in SA). Well I guess Trouble has been talking trash to all of the other kitties on the street because this morning in my front yard is a gorgeous long haired gray kitty, and a gorgeous jet black kitten. Then, as I'm taking Nikolai to day care, I spot this stray that I had seen yesterday. This cat is emaciated. So, I fed him, picked him up, put him in the car and now he's at the vet getting checked out for diseases and such.

So...as I'm calling Trouble to come in to get breakfast the kitten (who is wearing a flea collar so someone cares about him!) strolls right on in my house and starts hissing at the bigger kitties. They pretty much ignored him and went about their day. and then he crawled under the couch and apparently had no plans to leave. I managed to get him back outside and the grey kitty ran away but what the heck am I going to do with emaciated kitty? (who we all decided at the vet to name Handsome)

All I know is that I may not be a medical spouse much longer because my husband said if I added one more beating heart to the mix, he was out the door.

But seriously, what was I supposed to do? Let this cat starve to death in front of the day care? oh, and according to the vet, he has already been fixed! Who lets their cat get to this condition?

Oh boy....there's going to be an explosion in San Antonio and it's going to be my husband's head.

We have two adorable cats, and I'd like to add a third. Maybe I'll post a picture....they're very cute and unusual-looking. One cute thing that the little ones does is that my husband has this winter hat that she carries around in her mouth all the time, as if it's her baby kitten.

Comment

I really wouldn't mind getting another cat, but DH said he can only handle two spoiled females at a time. And I refuse to tip the ratio in his favor. :>

Jenn, can we get some pics of your domesticated zoo?

Comment

Oh man, I am soooo the same way!!
        When I was 17, I took my stepdad's Mercedes out to the local Crab stand to pick up a couple dozen for dinner and I saw two poodles running in and out of 6 lanes of traffic! I parked immediately and then there was me, running through all these cars trying to catch two grimy poodles that were about to get run over. Anyway, they were very dirty but I just *HAD* to save them and took them home in my stepdad's car. He was pissed, I was ecstatic, and a week later, we found their owners.

In college, I found a stray cat and hid him in the basement of my sorority house, feeding him and taking care of him. Eventually I got caught and reprimanded and the kitty had to go.

Anyway, I understand. Hopefully your DH will too.

Comment

Yup, 4 is the magic tipping-point into crazy. I think the fact that you recognize that, though, means you're unlikely to develop a serious problem.

Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

OMG Jenn, we really are somehow connected. Yesterday my friend (nextdoor neighbor) came home from the barn where she keeps her horse, with two kittens, definitely too young to be away from the mom but there is no mama cat to be found. There were 4 kittens, but one looks as if she won't survive. Someone else took those two. Well, one kitten is for her and one is for me. We are keeping them together for now (at her house) and feeding them a special formula. I figure I have several weeks to let Jory know, or maybe I'll just wait for him to notice. Sort of like the foster dog I brought home 2 1/2 years ago, who is still here. Jory's favorite book is DUNE, so I named the kitten Duncan from a character in the book. I figure it will help when I introduce him!!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sorry to hijack!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Luanne -- if he doesn't notice men in trees, I think you are safe on the kitten for a little while!

Comment

Well, first I have to say that I LOVE our new vet.

and after she looked at him she discovered that 1) he's a pretty old dude, and 2) he had no viable teeth left and 3) probable kidney disease (related to the teeth probably) we decided to put him to sleep. Poor kitty at least he didn't have to starve to death in 100+ degree heat.

and I remain married for another day.

(and if the little black kitten decides to reinvite himself in? who am I to tell him to leave.)

Jenn

Comment

That is sweet you took the cat to the vet and that he won't be miserable on the street. I'd have a hard time turning down the kitten too.

Comment

Jenn,

Do not become an ailurophiliac. See the article: http://cats.about.com/od/advocacy/a/catcollectors.htm

Comment

oops, duplicate post.

Comment

No, *I* wanna be the crazy cat lady! (I have the piano already!)

Poor kitties. After the explosion of sh** that the boys and I woke up to in our dog's cage, I would trade him for a couple more cats right now. Dogs are WAY more trouble.

I don't know that four crosses the line, necessarily.......it all depends on how big your house is, imo.

Sally
                          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
                            After the explosion of sh** that the boys and I woke up to in our dog's cage,
                            oooh. not a pleasant mental image. :: i hope it was contained on plastic or something that you could hose off.

Comment

NOPE. There was apparently a projectile stream (TMI, I know) that came out of the cage and got the wall, wood trim, and carpet. :: DH did a great job cleaning it up, though.

Sally
                              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                              X