Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How long is your and/or your SO's commute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annie, I love Saratoga! It is so beautiful there, and I love just walking around window shopping. Ah....beautiful. I cant wait to move back up north.

Is it Aviation mall in Saratoga...or Glens Falls...cant remember?? Anyhow, my best friend and I would go there...if we had the kids with us (hers, i didnt have any yet) we would go and take them on the carousel at the mall. A cheap thrill for little ones.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

My commute is 15-20 minutes via train and DH is 3-4 minutes (depending on how long the elevator takes) to get to class.
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by LDRO
        DH is 3-4 minutes (depending on how long the elevator takes) to get to class.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

SO and I live about 5 blocks apart and only 3 miles from the hospital/med school. He can ride his bike if he feels like it. I have to drive about 25 miles. I live in the middle of the city and work in the suburbs. Go figure.

Comment

1/2 a block - 5 minutes for dh. He loves it. I like that it maximizes his time at home. We both don't like any comute longer than 30 minutes. In med school it was 15 - 20 minutes. I'm unemployed now, but my commute to where ever I work shouldn't be more than 30 - 40 minutes by subway. Tolerable I think.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

SO doesn't drive and on public transport it takes him less than 15 mins to work, however that will probab;y change when myself and ds move over in 18 months or so as we probably won't be able to afford a place so central, at the moment so is sharing an appartment with another person.

Comment

We live about a mile from the med school but since he started rotations his commute is like 15 min (except now...he's on an away rotation ). My commute, on the other hand, it AN HOUR!!!!!!!!! A horrible horrible sitting through lights hour. The things I sacrifice for this man.......

I'm looking for a new job after my wedding though. My goal is to be able to take the train to work considering I live 2 blocks away from a train station. Woohoo.....3 1/2 more months!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug
                  Well, I'm signing DD#1 up for a preschool class once a week for the entire year. I can get a feel for the commute throughout the year and show DH that it's no biggie
                  rush hour on the northway is never fun! yikes! I am from voorheesville and have family all over the capital district, including ballston spa which is two seconds from saratoga. The housing is a little less there and school are good too. I would not want to deal with the traffic coming in or out of the city or live north of the city. It is especially bad when there is construction or poor weather conditions. I would double the commute time if you are driving south in th AM and north in the PM, triple it with snow/ice. If DH is commuting during off hours it will be ok.... if he is in a rush, its going to be a pain in the bottom. Let me know if you have any other questions..... I think trying the commute often would help you gain better perspective. I love Albany and hope we can move back someday!

Erinn
                  Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
                  ~~~~~
                  SAHM to 3

Comment

When do you think rush hour ends in the evening?
                    I would say evenings between 4 and 6 is the worst, with fridays being really bad and track season busy all the time. If there is an accident (usually once a week) it will take longer. If he is willing to live up there... it is a wonderful area to raise your kids!! There is so much to do and is filling up with young families. I think renting and looking around is a great idea and lacking target is a major concern! Target is a priority!! Schools are great but taxes are super high in bethlehem. There are so many parts of bethlehem too, if you stay along new scotland ave, the commute would shorten. If you want to be closer to the hospital there are lots of nice neighborhoods, but they are just harder to find. I can get more specific if you want ....or pm me if its easier
                    Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
                    ~~~~~
                    SAHM to 3

Comment

Working...
                    X