Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who are the others??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the others??

Any other spouses of FMGs living here in the states?

Is my husband IMG or FMG?
    He's German and graduated from medical school over there. IMG, right?
    No wonder I was so nervous during our Green Card interview!

Where's your husband from, Suziebelle?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

What's an FMG? Is it an overseas trained doctor who also passed the new country's medical exams? If so, I'm married to one, although we live in Australia. He's Japanese.

I'm noticing as I read more of this forum that sometimes the terms used in the States are different from here. I hope I'm guessing right!?

Incidentally, are there any forum members who aren't residing in America? Feel free to PM me, or I can start a new thread!

Comment

We've had Australia, India, Great Britain and Denmark over the years. I don't know about right now, though. that would be great to find out.

Jenn

Comment

we are US residents and dh is a FMG from the caribbean.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I'm Irish, DH is a U.S citizen who graduated from medical school in Ireland. We're now living in the U.S.
            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

FMG= Foreign Medical Graduate
              I am the US citizen and DH is from Syria. He came to the states in '93
              did his residency,
              then worked as hospitalist for a year,
              after that he did his 3 yr cardiology fellowship,
              then joined the teaching staff for a year and was interim director of the Echo lab,
              then did his interventional fellowship,
              then moved to AZ in the fall of '05.

I wanted to do this post so that if there were other multi-cultural/ international couples / families we could celebrate and commiserate together

Comment

Then my husband is an FMG. Thanks for the clarification.
                I think I used to know more abbreviations but have sort of put them away in a box. Between the immigration stuff (INS, K-1, etc, etc) and dh's medical stuff (USMLE, ECFMG, etc.), I had a sensory overload and forgot one of the easy ones, FMG!

My husband went to medical school in Germany, in his last year of med school he did some rotations in the US, and then he applied for the MATCH while he finished up in Germany. It was a rough time. He was doing his German boards concurrently with the USMLEs. The poor guy.

He loves it here and we feel it's definitely well worth the effort.
                Do you feel the same or differently?
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Well, my DH can't be considered a FMG because he attended med school in Chicago, but he is a foreigner. He's from Turkey and we got married in 2003 right before he started residency in general surgery. We had been together since undergrad (which he also completed in the US).
                  He now has a green card but the process and restrictions on foreign students/doctors are challenging to say the least. Very few med schools take foreign students and even then usually only 1-2 students per school. Getting a residency without a green card is an incredible obstacle. I have heard of the challenges FMG's face when coming here...some starting residencies over etc...

Comment

My dh is a FMG, he went to school at Ross in Dominica

Comment

I guess we are one of the lucky ones. DH is from Ireland, but came to the us on a green card he won in the lottery in 95. In 02 he became a us citizen and has done all his med education in the us. His undergrad was in dublin and non-medically related.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

My fiance has a few more years before graduation but he will be an FMG. He's both an American and Ecuadorian citizen and he'll be graduating from an Ecuadorian medical school.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

SO is irish as am i and graduated in Dublin, he's here on H1B to do his residency although he's done 3 years of the equivalant at home already. unless we are married i'll be staying in dublin until I get a visa to work here which will take forever, I've started the process but it looks as if it will take at least 18 months if not more because i did my RN education in England and might have to go back to do 3 weeks of maternity as we didn't do it as part of our course. If/when I get a visa it would be a green card and we'll hopefully be happily married then and DH might stay and do a fellowship, although he's his heart set on returning to europe afterwards which is where we conflict but all a long long way off!

Good reason to have the rest of our children in Ireland is full paid 22 weeks of maternity leave!! maternity and paternity leave is still miles behind the scandanavian countries though

Comment

Working...
                          X