Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Unhappy Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy Anniversary

So tomorrow is the 2-year anniversary of my dad's death. Long story short, he was hit by an underage drunk driver and spent the next 5 weeks fighting for life in the ICU. What made it difficult was he was in the same hospital that DH was/is affiliated with. He was just starting his 2nd year of med school when this happened.

Sometimes it seems like it was so long ago, but other times it feels like yesterday. I miss him so much. It still feels so weird to go over to my parents' house and not have him emerge from his bed to come say hi and ask me if I've checked my oil lately.

This morning I was listening to one of the dj's telling how he had taken his kids to buy new shoes for school. He went into how he can never bring himself to buy anything for himself. That he needs new shoes, but can't quite bring himself to spend the money, but when it comes to his kids there's no question. That was my dad to a tee. He never wanted for anything (other than cigarettes and lotto scratch-offs). He just always wanted to make sure he provided for us and gave us the things he didn't have growing up. When we would give him new things he would always smell them. He loved the scent of new things; again a reflection of his own childhood.

Lately I've been fearing losing Chris. All of a sudden these dreadful thoughts will sneak into my mind...how horrible a thought. I'm chocking it up to the fact that my dad and all that is riding so heavy on my mind. I talked to Chris about this tonight and he said what I already know, "You can't worry about the future, you have to live life in the present." My head knows this, but my heart is usually always in control, no matter what those doctor-folk say.

Sorry for being such a downer tonight.

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

no apologies needed.

the anniversaries are always hard times. i totally understand the worries - i have similar ones. my mom died when i was 23 ... and i am morbidly obsessed with saying proper goodbyes, kisses, never leaving angry, etc.

just hug the ones you have, and pay homage to the one you lost. he sounds like a wonderful man.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss, take care of yourself.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'm sorry. Anniversaries, birthdays are always hard.
          Be good to yourself.

Comment

Your father is still with you in that he obviously gave you his big, caring heart. I'm sorry for your loss.

Comment

Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Sorry about your loss. I can relate to those feelings of dread from a previous loss affecting how you view relationships today.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be a very tough time for you right now. I, too, always feel like bad things are going to happen, for me because of a rough childhood. You know it's illogical but you can't help thinking that way. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

I'm sorry, it is sometimes difficult to stop "waiting for the other shoe to drop".
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

You honor him by sharing his memory with us. I hope that you find peace and resolution on this day.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support.

I went to lunch that day with my mom, sister, and her 3 kids. We went to Cracker Barrell (Dad's favorite restaurant) and halfway through the meal Jeremiah (my sister's oldest (3-yr-old)) pointed up at something in the restaurant and said, "It's Grandpa's favorite!" I asked my sis if she had said anything to him about where we were going, and she said, "I don't know, I might have." It was just really neat. There was even an empty chair at the table. I definetly felt my dad's presence there with us.

Comment

Working...
                        X