Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

ignorant question about joining private rooms :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignorant question about joining private rooms :-)

I have been trying to find (with no luck) how to go about joining the private forums. When I first joined, back in 2004, I was given access (before the posting requirements, I think?) but obviously now I can't see them. I tried PMing PrincessFiona but haven't heard back yet. (With FIVE children I'm in awe she even has time to look at the internet, let alone run this site!) :chat:

So could anyone else help me out here? If possible, I'd like to see the Regional Meeting area (in case there are other Australians), the Call Room, and the Marriage Matters area.

Thanks to whoever can help me out!

Re: ignorant question about joining private rooms

I'm not quite sure - I read somewhere that you need to have at least 50 posts to get access to the private forums. I PM'd Kris and begged her to let me in but I may have been at the 50 post mark by then...not sure.

Originally posted by angelbright
    I tried PMing PrincessFiona but haven't heard back yet. (With FIVE children I'm in awe she even has time to look at the internet, let alone run this site!) :chat:
    I hear that!!! Kris is Wonder Woman!!!

Comment

The 'rules' these days are 50 posts. That way we can usually avoid the trolls, the spammers and those people who aren't really interested.

We are going to change some of the privacy stuff, but like I said, we're having a difficult time getting out act together. We would like to make another even more stringent level of privacy access that would require a token fee of some sort. We'd like to base membership on where people are in training- so people can 'speak' with total freedom to others in similar situations. For example, attending/staff spouses often have questions about contracts and law stuff and salary stuff that we know they'd love to talk about but- don't feel comfortable even in the private forums. We're SURE there are resident/fellow spouses who would love to talk about the Match, and where they've applied and who is not following the 80 hour work week but again, don't feel comfortable in the private forums. So, in a nutshell, we'll have the general forums, the private forums and to quote Animal House, "the Double Secret Probation" Forums.

Comments or suggestions anyone?

Jenn

Comment

I think that sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Angelbright -- when you get a few more posts, PM me and I'll give you access.

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
            That way we can usually avoid the trolls, the spammers and those people who aren't really interested.
            And people who are members' in-laws wandering by for a looky-loo. (My own personal paranoia.)
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
              Originally posted by jloreine
              That way we can usually avoid the trolls, the spammers and those people who aren't really interested.
              And people who are members' in-laws wandering by for a looky-loo. (My own personal paranoia.)
              Me too! Especially my FMIL is a spouse herself......

Comment

Thanks very much for your help!

OK, I'll keep posting around here to get my numbers up. Expect to get sick of hearing from me, lol!

Comment

Just to clarify on the privacy policy--the private forums serve to protect the members. All are welcome at this website.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I hadn't really given it a lot of thought, but now I consider it, I can see the need for the EXTRA extra security you spoke of.

Sitting over here in Australia, far away from you guys in the States, I guess I forget that you all know someone who knows someone...and the wrong comment made to the wrong person could lead to pretty significant upsets.

It would be just the same here...medicine is such a close-knit field everywhere, I think...except as far as I know, we don't have this kind of medical spouse support website here. (So for now, I'm safe. Just have to speak judiciously when meeting other spouses for the first time!) 8)

Comment

private rooms

I have a question too...

when we hit the "needed" amount of posts, do we automatically get access? Or do we need to ask someone? Could we maybe start a sticky thread for Access to forums and that way new members with enough posts can easily ask all the moderators for access?

Lacy

Comment

We definitely need a sticky!

I would suggest paging PrincessFiona and Poky (Poky is the moderator for the peds board, for med student spouses, which you'll qualify for after 100 posts!)

ETA: yes you need to page someone to get access, because there are private boards for each stage, 1 for med student spouses, 1 for resident spouses, and 1 for attending spouses).
                        Last edited by MarissaNicole; 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM.
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Once you reach the number of posts, you can PM an admin and they will give you access!
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Moderators can't grant access, only admins can. I'm not an admin, sorry.
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'm usually pretty quick if you can spell my username in the PM. Message me if you are ready for access and we will discuss.
                              Angie
                              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                              X