Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

it's the Avon lady!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's the Avon lady!

the thread in the call room got me thinking about things i could do for extra money. i think taking in a child would be great money...but having three of my own and so young and close together....that may not be the best thing for my mental health at this time.

so what do you all think/know about Avon? does anyone even sell/buy it anymore? anyone can just order online...so what is the point of having a "real" person doing it? i signed up to have someone call me just to hear what they have to say....but, i wonder if it is even worth it.

does anyone have experiences with selling it...or know someone who does?
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Yes people do it and yes I buy the Anew line of products. I do order online because I moved away from my lady.

Someone here at the office sells so I may order from her. You don't have to pay shipping to the Avon Lady (I don't think) and you do when you order online. For some, that's an extra bit o' cash.

Jenn

Comment

when I was selling Tastefully Simple, I knew a woman who also sold Avon. She said Avon was really difficult for new reps, b/c existing reps got newer merchandise, or could sell stuff before it would become available to the newer folks. she also said that there was a lot the reps had to buy - monthly ads, etc.

I sold Tastefully Simple, and while I did not enjoy it, it was much less expensive to get started, and you could do it w/o inventory. There were only 2 catalogs a year rather than monthly like Avon. I also knew people who sold Usborne books, which was very inexpensive to start in. For that you need to get into a group of rabid mommies who want to buy the books - but they are good. I think Pampered Chef is too saturated, Longaberger is insanely expensive, and the general makeup products are hard to get people hooked on. Oh - but the best party I ever had was for Body Shop products. It's the same stuff as in the stores, but you get to have a sample party. It was a lot of fun, but I have no idea how much the startup costs are for the reps. I do know a rep if you'd like to contact her.

Good luck.

Comment

thanks for the link, annie. looks like nice stuff.

jenn, thanks for confiming the fact that people still use it. they do have some cute/nice stuff. maybe this would be a good way to *gasp* meet people!!

Comment

thanks jenn. i do love those Longaberger baskets. i cannot believe how expensive they are. i cant even afford a napkin holder!
          i didnt realize that there was a start up fee for this stuff. that is not something i can't do. thanks for the offer for putting me in contact with your friend...i may take you up on that.

Comment

I have a friend who sells Mary Kay and is making the same doing that as she is as a PT sales manager!!!

Also, I recently went to a Silpada party (http://www.silpada.com) and bought a beautiful bracelet. That might be worth a shot too.

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
              Oh - but the best party I ever had was for Body Shop products. It's the same stuff as in the stores, but you get to have a sample party. It was a lot of fun, but I have no idea how much the startup costs are for the reps. I do know a rep if you'd like to contact her.

Good luck.
              So true. I had the most fun at a Body shop party and spent a pretty penny on things I normally wouldn't have bought in the store. You can also reach a wider age range of women with body shop IMO.

have fun with it!
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I don't have any experience with Avon but my aunt sales Mary Kay and my little sister did for a while. A few other home businesses that seem to have quality stuff are Discovery Toys (not the Discovery channel) and Southern Living at Home. Pampered Chef is fabulous too - if you choose that one I'll buy from you!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

there is always a start up fee, and then various costs to get your starter kit. Usborne is super-cheap (around $50). Tastefully Simple was about $200, but that included your starter kit and enough stuff to do 6 parties. I don't know what Body Shop's is, but clearly it's well liked from just the responses here. I think Mary Kay has such a stereotype associated with it. There are some loyal die-hards that love it, but a lot of people who think it's ridiculous. I've got a pink cadillac lady 3 doors down from me. Body Shop does reach a wider audience, IMO.

Silpada has some pretty stuff (and they're based here, about 3 miles from my house), but it's pricey and it's not 'consumable'. Makeup, food, lotions run out. Jewelry, baskets -- not so much. My neighbor sells Silpada.

See the gauntlet I have to run?

Also - the Body Shop person I know is not a friend ... just my consultant when I had my party. Don't think you HAVE to go through the person I know for info.

Feel free to PM me. I was (unfortunately) immersed in direct selling for a little over a year. I did well, but it's just not for me. That said - it sure provided some 'timely' money.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureRN
                    i think taking in a child would be great money
                    taking in a child? Like babysitting? Or fostering?
                    definitly babysitting. fostering should not be done for money, IMO.

Comment

My cousin sells Avon.
                      Needs

Comment

Working...
                      X