Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

crikey, mate...the "croc hunter" steve irwin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crikey, mate...the "croc hunter" steve irwin

is dead. he was filming a show on one of the reefs in a remote area off of Queensland. he was stung with a barb, pierced right in the heart...by a sting ray. wow, i feel bad for his wife and two young children.

see, i said everything is Australia can kill you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

NO WAYYYYY!
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

that's sad - but honestly that guy was living on borrowed time! he did so many zany things!

according to the article the way he died is very unusual - even if you do manage to get stung by a stingray. he got hit right in the heart.

Comment

I saw that this morning - its odd to think of all the dangerous things that he has done, and this is the one that kills him. So sad for his wife and two kids.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureRN
          Stingrays really don't kill people......and if it's accurate that he was hit in the heart, WOW. No reports I have read say this, but a lot of commentary I've read by people says this. I think it went in through the left side of his chest. That is a DEEP puncture. Wow.
          That is what the Today show was reporting this morning, that the tail caught him and went through his heart. Very sad.

Comment

It is just so strange that for all the risky crocodile and snake handling he did, he died in this very unusual way. What are the odds?

Comment

My oldest two boys were almost in tears as they saw this story this morning. Such a sad story. We have really enjoyed his shows over the past few years. I am sad for his family.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Comment

In Irwin's own words

Crikey means gee whiz, wow!

When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior, Australian bloke. And yet back here in my own country some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.

I bled a lot. I got hit across the face. We couldn't film for seven days. I got whacked, underwater, across the face. I finished the shot, got into the boat and blood started coming out.

I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm fine with that.

I have no fear of losing my life. If I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

I would never blame an animal if it bit me, because I'm at fault, not them. I heal so quickly. If you cut my arm off I would grow a new one.

I'm high as a kite, mate. I'm flat out like a lizard drinking, all the time. You know I have trouble just sitting here. You know, I'm just like, got to get up.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/in- ... 72735.html

Comment

This is so sad. At least he went the way he wanted to, killed by an animal. I heard that his other desire was that his death would be captured on film.

We will miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by planet
                      I heard that his other desire was that his death would be captured on film.
                      (
                      Crazy. Was everything caught on film?
                      He died in such an unusual and unlikely way, I bet there are many hoping to get their hands on that film.

Comment

I would assume so, they said he was filming a documentary at the time.

Comment

Yep, its on tape...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 01,00.html

Comment

This is so sad. The first thing I thought about were his poor wife and kids. DH and I were watching his show a few weeks back, where he was pulling a very dangerous stunt with a croc. We both commented an how doing things like that would cost him his life one day. It's strange that it happened in such a bizzare way. Just shows, it's never wise to mess with nature.
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I think a lot of people here in Australia were hit hard by this. He was a very pure-hearted person, a very special individual and apparently just the same in real life as on camera. His zoo is only about an hour from where we live. His death is all over the news here...it was almost like hearing Princess Di had died, you just don't expect it of someone so young and vital. (Although given the nature of his profession, I guess not surprising.)

He died while filming a segment for his daughter Bindi's documentary series. I feel so terribly sorry for his family. I hope they can take some comfort in knowing how loved he was.

(Don't be afraid, not everything here is dangerous! )

Comment

Working...
                              X