Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pregnancy question/s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy question/s

Ok, so we are found to be recently pregnant. It wasn't exactly planned, but it is still exciting- none the less.

We (as a family) seem to be surrounded by friends (2 families) and immediate family (2 families) that haven't/can't get pregnant under normal and aided situations. My sister and her husband have been trying for about 4 years (don't really know all the details- they are ashamed-long story) anyway, my brother and his wife had been trying for at least two years as well. They just got pregnant and told my sister. It broke her heart- I only know this from talking with my mother. So, now we find out that we are also expecting and we will need to tell her at sometime as well.
    What is the best way to let her know that she is going to be an aunt again?

Anyone with any input would be appreciated. I will be in and out but will be checking....thanks!

:ra:

Go Matt Go!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Honestly, there probably isn't going to be any good way to tell her except don't gloat (duh.) Don't be overly excited nor overly pitiful and she should be able to deal with it and be happy for you. Good luck.

Comment

This is how I handled it with my sister. I just said, look this is going to be hard to hear but I want you to hear it from me. She later has said that she appreciated my honesty and was more offended when friends waited to tell her or when she heard it through the grapevine. It's hard, especially when its a pregnancy you weren't expecting. It isn't fair that some can get pregnant so easily (myself included) while others have to go through hell, but it sounds like you are really trying to be sensitive to the whole thing and I think they will recognize and appreciate that.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!! I think if I were in your sister's situation I would want to be told directly. I like Sue's way of saying it. Congratulations!!!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I agree with Sue.

Sort of similar situation with two friends and it turned out ok.

Comment

Agree with above suggestions.
              We have been trying for 4 years and experienced some heartbreaking miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy. I would want you to tell me just like everyone else.
              You should tell them and tell them just like you tell everyone else: like proud parents to be!
              If you don't or you apologize or appear weird in some way you make too much of a big deal out of their problems.
              Don't gloat but be happy, you deserve it! And hopefully, they will be happy for you too!
              Congrats to you!!!!! WHEW-HEW!

Comment

Congrats! I second what everyone else said, she will still privately have a hard time with it, but telling her directly is best.
                Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Matt, I agree with everyone else - tell her personally before she hears it from someone else. She has to deal it with it in her own way, all you guys can do is be honest with her - I wouldn't tell her it was an accident - just tell her that you wanted her to know that you're expecting.

Congratulations.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Matt-

Right off the boat, huh? Congrats, first and foremost.

I completely agree with Sue- the direct and sensitive approach will work the best. You ARE happy and they will (eventually) be happy for you.

It IS hard to hear when you can't seem to make it happen the 'regular' way but that is a part of life.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                      Matt-

Right off the boat, huh?
                      Jenn
                      Literally! (immature snickering).

Comment

Congratulations! I hope it is a very happy and healthy 9 months for your wife and family.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Congratulations!

I agree with Sue, and with Cheri. You're a good brother to be concerned about your sister's feelings. It would be nice if you could give her some time to catch her breath between your brother's announcement and yours, but it's more important, IMO, that she hear it directly from you, so that may not be possible.

Yay, happy news, though!
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks for the great views...I have made my mental notes!

Funny story about the boys....DW is terrible at keeping secrets, she is literally the first one to tear open all the Christmas/birthday gifts and can't keep it to herself. (One of her many cute qualities!) Anyway, I was at class one night, came home and everyone was in bed sleeping. The next morning, our oldest gets up, I fix his breakfast, and the daily routine for school...we were sitting on his bed since no one else was awake. He looks at me and says 'So, I guess we are going to have a baby.' In a dead serious tone with no smile. I, of course, played to this like I didn't know what he was talking about. He said, 'yeah, Mom told me last night that we are going to have another baby'. I said, 'We are?!?' Still trying to see how he felt. He looked at me with wide eyes, finally getting that maybe I didn't know...and he says 'It is a surprise....so YOU better not tell Colton'. I had to choke back the laughter!

Comment

He looked at me with wide eyes, finally getting that maybe I didn't know...and he says 'It is a surprise....so YOU better not tell Colton'.

Comment

Working...
                              X