Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My messy house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My messy house!

I've knocked myself out cooking/cleaning for the last 2 weeks while we had company and so yesterday I did NOTHING...the house quickly succumbed to entropy!

This morning, I got 3 kids out the door to school and then went on an hour long walk with Aidan and Zoe. I got home and sat down to get online here and....the doorbell rang.

It was my creative memories person bringing me over an order...She's a *gasp* dawkter's wife with a fabulous, wonderful (and perfectly clean) home.

Mine looked like a college dorm, with cereal bowls/cereal still on the table...and some crunchy rice crispies on the floor. All of the sofa cushions were on the floor...She actually had to move placemats from my floor to walk out onto our deck.

Boohoo...Why didn't I CLEAN up this morning after my walk instead of getting online. Can I blame you guys? :>

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I'm sure she went home and thought "Why am I so uptight?? Can't I just relax and enjoy life like Kris?" It's possible!

There is more to life than a tidy home. Sometimes chaos is the way to go. Enjoy your day (or two) off. The mess will always be there when you are ready to tackle it.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I for one would feel quite comfortable walking through your house.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
        I for one would feel quite comfortable walking through your house.
        Me too.

Really, when the contractor was over and I was apologizing for food on the floor and the bikes in the house, blah, blah, he said, "oh, this is nothing. You should have seen the house we were just at." Not sure exactly how to take this.

Kris...you were doing more important things. The walk was better. The house will always need cleaning.

Comment

My mom always said "If you're coming to see me, come anytime. If you're coming to see the house, make an appointment."

I used to get all uptight about people seeing my house in it's normal state. I've since decided that I'm not too interested in pursuing a relationship w/people who cannot realize that life happens in a home, and cleaning up isn't always the first priority. I make no judgements about the uber-neat (okay - I do ), it's just not me.

I guarantee you that on your last day in this world 70 years from now, you will be remembering the walks with Zoe and Aiden ... not picking up a placemat.

Comment

Jenn...I use that quote of yours all the time. Everyone loves it. Your mom was a witty and wise woman.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Amen to all of the above.

My mom is Betty Crocker combined with Martha Stewart attached to Heloise. Seriously. The house was/is spotless all the time. She makes her bed so that you could bounce a quarter off of it every single morning, immediately after breakfast. In the last few years, she relaxed her standards and would leave the occasional coffee cup in the sink until she got home from work. (she also didn't work outside the home until I was in Jr. High)

However, now that she has these grandsons that she worships, she has said that she was 'probably' a 'little uptight' back in the day. (Ya think? We had homemade dessert- every single night. I didn't have Kraft mac n' cheese until college. We got in trouble for not making hospital corners when making the bed)

My house is mostly clean. but heck- I'd much rather take Nikolai and the pooch for a walk- the house will still be there. and it's not like once I finish vacuuming the beasts will stop shedding and let me enjoy it.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
                Your mom was a witty and wise woman.
                Thanks Angie! I'm glad to know her quotes live on even in people who've never met her. Out in your neck of the woods you *might* even end up to repeating it to people who knew her (she got around town - a LOT). Her nickname was Yo-Yo, lots of people knew her that way.

Comment

Working...
                X