Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

can radiologists practice as dermatologists???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can radiologists practice as dermatologists???

HI everyone.....gotta guick question......are radiologists trained to include aesthetics as part of their practice (with CME courses related to this) and then start a med spa practice? I'm asking b/c I have an interview coming up at this new practice and the md is actually a radiologist. He'll provide services such as botox, laser hair removal, and whole lots of other laser treatments (I can see how his radiology expertise will help him w/ the laser aspect) and the such (all the things that one would see a dermatologist for).

Thank you for your replies....much appreciated!

gotta go get my caffeine fix... :coffee

I'd be curious as to why he isn't practicing as a radiologist.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Hmmm......my hubby and I tried looking up his license (AMA website and the such) and couldn't find any info on him.....but his practice doesn't open up until 1 mo from now so hopefully he will have it by then! If all is good then I am definitely open to getting trained so that I will be marketable in the future should I seek to be gainfully employed at a dermatologists' office as a nurse or nurse manager.......offered my services to hubby, but don't know if he can afford my hourly rate

Comment

I suppose they COULD but I'd wonder 1) did he do any kind of residency in dermatology? Is he board certified in 1) anything 2) dermatology.

Botox is a great drug- but my husband had to go through a pretty intense training in order to use it on kids with cerebral palsy (among other diagnoses). He had to have X numbers of hours and then had to be tested. Now, I understand that not everyone who uses botox is required to be certified BUT...

My little hairs on the back of my neck are standing up- I'd double and triple check this guy- you don't want to be anywhere near his practice if something goes wrong.

Jenn

Comment

My DH is taking boards right now but I will ask him when he gets back.
          I do know of an ENT doing botox, etc and it was all legit but still...

Comment

I agree that it sounds fishy.

Opthalmologists can use Botox and do laser hair removal, lid lifts...but it falls in the around the eye area....so it's still kinda their domain...

but a radiologist?? Not even close in my opinion.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Thank you all for your input......I look forward, Anne, to hear your hubby's input on the matter......congrats on almost being done w/ residency (yippey)!!! :ra:

Comment

I'm biased but very fishy unless he has done a residency in either dermatology or plastic surgery. You wouldn't want a dermatologist reading your CT scan. Wait a little longer, your husband will be seeing this guy's botched laser and botox cases at his derm program.

Comment

Pretty sure that once they've passed step 3 they CAN do all areas of medicine, but again, that doesn't mean they should. As others have said, board certification would be the key here as to whether or not he's truly has SPECIFIC dermatology training - other than the glossing over the get in med school .

Comment

Sounds completely fishy.

Would you really want someone other than a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist doing botox on you? Personally, I would not.

However, working in a med spa sounds great!!! Can we get a discount on Obagi if you get the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                      I'd be curious as to why he isn't practicing as a radiologist.
                      Agree....

Comment

Originally posted by rn_happy
                        Hmmm......my hubby and I tried looking up his license (AMA website and the such) and couldn't find any info on him.....but his practice doesn't open up until 1 mo from now so hopefully he will have it by then!
                        Have you checked with the Medical Board of California? If he is licensed to practice (anything) in California, they will have his info on file: http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Lookup.htm.

Comment

In NY just about everyone and their brother is trying to get on the derm bandwagon. I recently heard of an OBGYN doing Botox. However, I would imagine that radiology is a more profitable field in itself than OBGYN.

Comment

I think jesher is right -- he CAN but whether he is trained to or is board certified to do so is another question.

There are quite a few people who try to add on "medi-spa" sorts of things -- pathologist comes to mind, emergency medicine, OB/gyn, family practice. I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                              There are quite a few people who try to add on "medi-spa" sorts of things -- pathologist comes to mind,
                              Yeah? Well then - scratch what I said earlier! I think it's perfectly fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X