Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mid-Life Crisis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know- but my family are the Steelers fans, Idiot claims no team.

Luckily I've managed to convince him that 1) all money goes directly to savings for the new house/crap to go in the new house and 2) he is allowed to trade in the new '06 Audi wagon on the '07 BMW M3 as soon as the '08 BMWs come out. Hopefully that will prevent this little fantasy from bearing fruit.

Iraq is less dangerous than a motorcycle. At least in my mind.

Maybe I can convince him to start jumping out of airplanes again.

Jenn

Comment

I'd push the sportscar. It's transportation and sexy. He can get the convertable. And wear a leather jacket.

Maybe he'd like to get a tattoo instead?
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We call them "donar cycles".
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Wifey won't let me...

I have more important things to argue with her about. Gotta throw out some "yes, dears" so that when it really matters I can cash them in.

Comment

My SO got his motorcycle fixed about 6 months ago. He's been riding since he was 3....yes...I said 3. It's was a 4 wheeler but still...I have NO idea what his mother was thinking. Considering he's been riding almost his entire life there was really no way I could really talk him out of bringing it to our house. He doesn't ride it terrible much but if it's nice out sometimes we'll go for a ride. To be honest I kind of like riding on it with him....it is fun. But we've made deal that he's not allowed to drive on certain narrow/windy/busy roads by out house. It does make me nervous sometimes when he's out riding though. I'd keep talking him out of it. Although I do enjoy it I think I'd rather Steve stopped riding completely....

Comment

I think he should get a motorcycle.
              I'm also against helmet laws.
              (big surprise there)

wow we really found something that divides us along gender lines!
              I'm so happy, my masculinity has been affirmed!
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffhead
                I think he should get a motorcycle.
                I'm also against helmet laws.
                (big surprise there)
                really? what about seatbelt laws? your dw is neuro, too, right? i'm totally surprised!

Comment

My husband is TOTALLY against motorcycles. He worked in a level one trauma center for way too long as a resident and there they were called "donorcycles." They got some really good organs that way.

When his friend told us his wife was pregnant DH said "so are you finally selling the motorcycle?" Friend said, no why. DH says something like, are you going to save for your child's education? (yes) Then sell your motorcycle -- it says you love your kid a LOT MORE than a bank account. It says you want to be there for him/her no matter what.

I'm completely biased against them.

I think it's a selfish choice even if you are single without children...so I'm not very "open" about it!
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
                    Originally posted by reciprocity
                    oddly enough, the current deal between my gf and I is that I can get a motorcycle if she can get a mini.
                    jloreine said
                    So, I can say that 100% of the med spouses who have responded think he's an idiot.
                    so now you'll have to say that 100% of spouses with a vagina think he's an idiot. we'll have to see what Fluff, Laker, Matt and Kevin have to say.

we really need more guys on this site. do you think we scare them away?
                    to be fair, I didn't say I didn't think motorcycles were idiotic, but I realize sometimes it is fun to be an idiot.
                    - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

My husband will be GLAD to call your DH and give him the helmet speech! I think when DH is done with residency he will become the spokesperson for helmet laws, seriously! He sees SO many accidents and SO many people that should be living youthful lives and instead their families are hunched around a hospital bed for weeks and months not knowing what will be next.

My husband's thing is, don't buy a helmet for yourself, buy the helmet for your kids and family. His other thing is against a car you will never win and 99% of the time car vs. motorcyle accidents are the car's fault because they didnt' see you.

He has no problems with responsible drivers and people wanting to take that risk but those are his two biggest comments - every time we drive past a bike on the higway or a city street he so badly wants to roll down the window and yell "GET A HELMET!"

He'll be shocked that a neurologist is even considering one.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Oh he says he'll do the helmet, jacket, safety class but it's not going to help when a Ford F-350 smashes him.

UGH.

I hope this goes away.

Jenn

Comment

Can you find any statistics online?? Noone wants to be a statistic....

That said, my stepdad bought a custom Harley and my mom bought a red convertible a few years ago. (No mid-life crisis there. ) He doesn't ride it all that much, but they do go out together every so often. I would be upset if SO got one though. I think he knows better...

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
                            He has no problems with responsible drivers and people wanting to take that risk but those are his two biggest comments - every time we drive past a bike on the higway or a city street he so badly wants to roll down the window and yell "GET A HELMET!"
                            My kids essentially do this. Whenever we see a motorcyclist or bike rider with a helmet, my kids yell "He has a helmet! He's SAFE! Yay!". If they see either sans helmet they yell "He's not wearing a helmet. He needs to go home and GET SAFE!".

They make no effort to keep their thoughts to themselves.

Comment

Thankfully[u] SO has no interest in motorcycles and doesn't even have a drivers license yet (a whole other topic!!) He's just bought a bicycle to ride to and from work and hebetter have the sense to wear his helmet, i'm 99% sure he will!!!

What disturbs me is my 2 year olds interet in motorcycles, he stops and stars at them on the street and thinks they're the best thing ever and has done this since before he was a year!!! I'm NOT kidding!! He just loves them, I pray every night he never gets on one!!

A guy I went out with had a twin brother and on their 18th the twin got a motorcycle, a couple of hours he was knocked off and he's now paralegic, not only that he ended up with osteomylitis in his hips and has most of his femurs removed and is riddle with MRSA, not sure if he's still alive now or not.

Is it really worth the risk for the thrill???!!

Comment

Working...
                              X