Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

newbie...with a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie...with a question...

hi all,

have been a lurker here for quite some time and seems like a great place to be...will provide a formal introduction in a while

have a quick question for you guys - do any of your spouses/bfs make phone calls just to say a quick hi/hello when they are at work/on call at the hospital ? will it not be looked upon favorably by the attendings/colleagues if a resident does so ?

am in the process of trying to understand this whole training process, hence the question

thanks !

DOES my DH call me throughout the course of his day? Nope. CAN he? Probably. I personally don't mind not talking to him during the day, so it's not a big deal to me that he doesn't call. It sounds to me like you're asking if it's possible for them to call, and my answer would be 'yes,' s/he should be able to squeeze in a couple of minutes to do so.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I always got the call in the when he was in the elevator or in a call room. I did insist during training that he call at or near the kids' bedtime to say goodnight. The only time he didn't was when he was in a very long surgery. Sometimes he'd call at 4:30 and say goodnight before going in to a case.

DH is an attending now and there is NO WAY that he would hold it against a resident for calling home briefly. He's BTDT. I hope more and more of the attendings get this attitude as time goes on.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I've only been in the same time zone with SO for 5 weeks of his first year of residency, during 3 different rotations. It depends on the rotation, on the anaesthesia/ENT he called when he was going from anaesthesia (in the mornings) to ENT (in the afternoon), on the ER one he called at leaset once a day, on the surgery one he called if he could or to let me know he was on his way home could i let him in (we only had the 1 set of keys ) the surgery one is really busy, and he would call if there was no one around as it would be looked down on by the attending and the cheif resident (how sounds like a total knob! )

Comment

nope. mine is not a caller. he's an attending now, i still don't get calls.

Comment

After a full year of begging for calls during dh's internship year, the boy has learned that if he wants to come home to a happier wife, then he's got to call at least 1x during the workday. By now, I rarely ever page him unless it's an emergency. On call nights, I expect him to check in more often. I get scared all alone at home. Really. I'm chicken that way.

My dad was here visiting for the past week. Dh gave him his pager number and my dad paged him 2-3x/day! What do you want for dinner? How much longer are you going to be at work? What's your schedule tomorrow? :>
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison
              My dad was here visiting for the past week. Dh gave him his pager number and my dad paged him 2-3x/day! What do you want for dinner? How much longer are you going to be at work? What's your schedule tomorrow? :>

wow, he sounds like a wife. that is funny!
              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I forgot to mention that my dad was staying with my brother most of the time, so I wasn't even able to stop him from paging my husband. Not that I would have stopped my dad, of course! :>

Comment

My DH calls me just to say hi when he's on call at night or on the weekend - not during the regular work day. There is always time when they are away from the attending when they can do this.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Mine calls several times a day if he knows I'm at home (he is an attending). If I'm at work( in the same hospital) he stops by at least once and usually brings me a cup of coffee. I know it sounds corny, but it works for us. We have had more meals/coffee at the hospital than we have at home.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Please post an introduction. Does your screen name have anything to do with Ayn Rand?
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Luanne - that sounds so sweet!

Yeah, does your profile name have to do with Ayn Rand?!

Comment

I need calls. DH calls about once a day during work. Sometimes I call him, but I usually don't. Even if it's just a two second hello, it works.
                          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

My DH does not call unless he is on call. Then it is to coordinate dinner with the kiddos, if he can.
                            Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                            Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

thanks a lot for all your replies ! and yes, my screen name has everything to do with rand

heres a little intro, i work in the technology sector for an investment bank in nyc and my fiancee is currently a prelim in general-surgery...

i guess i have a looooong ride ahead of me, compounded by the fact that we have a whole bunch of immigration issues (we are from india) to be dealt with !!!

i hope to post here more often in the days to come...

Comment

Working...
                              X