Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What languages do you speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *Lily*
    and take a small dog named Tobia for a walk, since it is a beautiful day.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
      So far, I can identify a couch and take a small dog named Tobia for a walk, since it is a beautiful day. Otherwise, I'm out of luck in Italy! .
      For some reason this reminded me of my surley high school days. I thought it was hillarious to learn how to swear (specifically the Queen Mother of 'em all) in other languages. At one point I proudly walked around telling people I could either get laid, or get kicked out of 19 different countries.

I can't remember all of the languages that I knew nastiness in, but Serbian, Polish, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Spanish, French, German were all on the list. I could say the most AWFUL stuff in Serbian.

Comment

German and Japanese (except for reading and writing - I'm at a 6th grade level) fluently.

French (reading). I can get by in French-speaking countries, but I find that raising my voice and repeating "I KNOW YOU SPEAK ENGLISH!" In France works better than trying to speak French.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Well, besides English, I speak fluent Irish (Gaelic) and some French. I'm trying to brush up on my French since DH speaks fluently. His Mom speaks to them in French. I also studied Italian and Spanish for a while.
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

English... with a drawl. Also passable "Spanglish" (a must for living in FLA) and enough Polish to threaten my children in public wihtout seeming lie a shrew. I really want to take a Polish class and findout what my in-laws have been saying about me all this time
            Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Beccaroo
              I really want to take a Polish class and findout what my in-laws have been saying about me all this time
              that is KEY! that's why I learned some Gujarati! It's SO much fun to catch them!!

Comment

I speak Japanese fluently, and a smattering of French. I'm a freelance Japanese-English translator now, but was a teacher in the BC (Before Child) era.

DH and I met while I was living in Japan. Now we live back in Australia and we're trying to raise DD as a bilingual.

Comment

I can speak French, well I am starting to get a bit rusty- my written and reading skills have always been stronger than the oral. I have a BA in French, and mom is French Canadian.

Dh is fluent in Dutch, and knows some German. I know a smattering of Dutch phrases.

Also took Spanish in high school, but Emma speaks more Spanish than I do because of the class she takes at preschool.

Crystal
                  Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

im with tara. i can understand anything baby or toddler. i took spanish in HS but sucked. i can understand a very tiny bit of hebrew.

dh is fluent in french. he knows some hebrew and can understand a little flemish.
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three
                      im with tara. i can understand anything baby or toddler. .

This makes me think of that new baby sign language. Anyone using it? I met a surgery resident mom who was using it with her baby and it was quite amazing.

Comment

There's actually a whole thread on that somewhere in parenting...

Comment

Working...
                        X