Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you know anything about violins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know anything about violins?

What is wrong with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Afford-to-Own-NEW-1 ... dZViewItem

I am looking for an inexpensive violin for Alex (Age 7) to take lessons.

I don't want to spend money only to have it be junk....and I don't want to spend a lot either because I don't know how he'll keep up with it.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

It's probably just got lousy sound (like most starter violins). For $35 I'd say you can't lose. Cheaper than a rental, which most likely will have the same lousy sound. The seller has good feedback, and this type of thing looks like their bread & butter.

Comment

Are you sure it is the right size? Are there any at school or something he could try to see if he needs a 1/4 or 1/2?

If it sounds too off, it is hard for them to hear the right notes when they are playing. But for $35, it's worth a try.

Comment

I *really* restrained myself from replying as long as I could. I took violin as a kid. It sounds awful when you start. I don't think the violin sound will help or hurt at the begining. I'd go for cheap regardless. :!

Comment

that was my thought. i took as well. my dad made me practice outside. in cleveland.

Comment

It does sound horrible initially. We're past that initial stage (thank god!). DD is taking violin and her E string is a little extra squeaky which makes it hard to tell if she is bowing correctly or if it is the string. Part of that is the size of the violin (1/8 ) and will also get better when she moves up to a 1/4.

$35 would be a good way to figure out if he likes it or not. But I think that could be a downside of a less expensive instrument. Not a reason to skip it, but that could be part of the "package".

Comment

Please take this for what it is worth???? Have you considered Viola instead of Violin? There are many more opportunities for scholarships for Viola because so many LESS play it. Just thinking ahead for you (since I've been there!!!!!!!!).
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

My brother is a violinist. He played violin for about 8 years, took viola lessons for about one year (concurrently with violin), but still plays violin (and very little viola). He's been playing for about 16 years now, performs, and teaches violin to kids.

My brother says that the thing with viola is that there aren't many concertos for violists as there are for violinists. He's a type A personality and LOVES to be the soloist.

I sent him the ebay link and he thinks it's fine for a beginner. There are some rental places; have you thought of doing that? Especially if you aren't at a full size yet?
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

How do you know what size you need?

(SO has always wanted to learn to play and this would be a great anniversary gift b/c it's pretty cheap.)

Comment

He's an adult, right? :>
                    He's full-size.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                      He's an adult, right? :>
                      He's full-size.
                      Technically.

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                        Please take this for what it is worth???? Have you considered Viola instead of Violin? There are many more opportunities for scholarships for Viola because so many LESS play it. Just thinking ahead for you (since I've been there!!!!!!!!).
                        Me - I'm all over cello. I took violin as a kid, loved it, ended up w/carpal tunnel @ 16, and stopped playing. I want to take cello as an adult. I LOVE the sound, the depth as opposed to the violin. Don't get me wrong - a violin in the right hands can be like music from the heavens, but my heavens usually blast stuff from lower octaves.

As Donna (on the West Wing) said "Yo-Yo Ma RULES!"

Comment

Hey Kris my friend took the violin as a kid...look how he turned out

Comment

Working...
                          X