Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping

Okay, so I tip the waiters 20% and always tip the stylists and the nail technicians, but who else gets tipped and how much??

What about...

Housekeepers?
    Mailmen?

(Please feel free to add more!)

Hahahah, I thought this was going to be a thread about cows.

I tip food delivery people in the 10-15% range. I tip my petsitter in the 10-20% range.
    Alison

Comment

We usually tip our pizza delivery person a few bucks, depending on how long it took for the pizza to get there.

When we had our new stove delivered we tipped the delivery guys a few bucks each.

We didn't tip the guys that delivered the fridge because they wouldn't put the fridge in the kitchen since that would involve taking the door off of the fridge (due to a narrow doorway btw. the dining room and kitchen).
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

We give our cleaning woman a Christmas bonus, but don't tip her otherwise, as she works for herself. We always tip well for food delivery but we only order from 3 specific places and like to have a good relationship with them (also go to eat there). As for furniture delivery and such, it really depends.

I never understood the concept of tipping the mailman (and isn't there a rule about tipping federal employees), but I always lived in a big building.

I think generally, the rule is that only salaried employees get tipped, those working for themselves or business owners don't.

Comment

I'm so stingy when here at home. will tip in a restaurant about 10% and its keep the change with food deliveries.

I was so borke from tipping last time I was over visiting SO, seems like everyone gets a tip. The other thing I felt conned by was price tags, I would look at the price of something say something that s $4 and then find out its actually more when you get to the till because tax hasn't been added to the price tag......my school arithmatic actually got some use!

Comment

I tip movers which I have had the pleasure of doing a few times this summer. I'll also tip delivery people if they do a good job bringing something in and setting it up.

I usually tip 15% for food service, 20% for great service (or screaming children who left a big mess ).

Comment

We tip on the high side. You never know when you'll see people again. I don't like the idea of people spitting into my food either. People have good memories when it comes to good vs. bad tippers.

We give our mailman chocolates at the end of the year. My grandmother used to give her garbage men and mailman money and a 6-pack of soda pop. They loved her! She was the sweetest lady, and because she was a gardener (and FOB - fresh off the boat), she knew that they get thirsty! Hence the 6-pack.

The garbage men used to make sure even the extra bags of yard waste were taken and that they didn't leave a mess... Gone are those days, right Nellie?
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

No kidding! Maybe I need to do something nice for my garbage guys. They must like me a little because they will take my cardboard when it is still in box form (and not broken down according to the rules).

It isn't always easy to tell, but if a server seems to be doing a good job but food is slow because of the kitchen, I'll still give a nice tip. If I get too much of that hipster attitude, I don't tip as well.

Oh yeah, the hair and nails and all that stuff. Tip them too.

Comment

Pretty much 20% across the board.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I am with Luanne pretty much 20% across the board.
                    Cheryl~wife to MS3 and Mommy to our two beautiful daughters...

http://simplyimmersed.blogspot.com/
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crick...20671954714125

Comment

Tipping is such a foreign concept to me. I have found it so hard to get used to on the odd occasion I've been to a country where it's done.

In Australia, we have a minimum wage which is enough to get by on, and so tipping is not required. You can give it for good service if you like, and the person in question will get a happy surprise. There is no obligation though.

Wasn't this the original idea of a tip - a reward for a job well done? Although I went along with the culture while I was overseas, I found it kind of distasteful that people would stand there waiting to be given money just to do their job, regardless of how well (or not) it was done. It seemed so strange to have to leave money out on the hotel pillow just to get your sheets changed! But when you hear of people making rude comments about amounts, or spitting in food, as someone mentioned, it seems like they're staring a gift horse in the mouth. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with it, and I'm living in a place where a gift can still be purely a gift.

Just an outsider's perspective...!

Comment

I wish that places would just add the tip onto the bill, like make the price of a salad on the menu 20% more, or my haircut 20% more.

For that matter, I wish the price on a tag was the price at the register, rather than plus the tax when you get there.

I can understand that waiters make half of minimum wage and they survive on tips, but I dont think it is fair to tip the hotel maid who makes minimum wage but not the person who is washing the sheets or the person who checks you in who make the same salary as the maid.
                        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by angelbright
                          Wasn't this the original idea of a tip - a reward for a job well done? Although I went along with the culture while I was overseas, I found it kind of distasteful that people would stand there waiting to be given money just to do their job, regardless of how well (or not) it was done. It seemed so strange to have to leave money out on the hotel pillow just to get your sheets changed! But when you hear of people making rude comments about amounts, or spitting in food, as someone mentioned, it seems like they're staring a gift horse in the mouth. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with it, and I'm living in a place where a gift can still be purely a gift.
                          Right, the US is totally different. I used to be a waitress and I would work 15 hour days, on my feet and smiling to a bunch of ungrateful asshates all day, and would still not pull in more money than a janitor probably makes. It's really hard work and when you only get paid $2.13/hr (and all of that goes to taxes anyway) you seriously survive off the cash you make from each person.

Sorry, but I feel very strongly about tipping the waitstaff well. It's a very difficult job. :!

Comment

We tip waitstaff well because my sister used to be a waitress. We're pretty consistent with 20% though we have been known to give more or less based on really good or bad service.

For all "others" I usually do 15-20% depending on what it is. I do agree that some tipping has gotten out of hand though.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

For the housekeeper, how much should I tip and do I just leave it on the table for her when she comes? I'm usually at work and they company sends me a bill for the $20 it costs for her to come a couple weeks later, so... what should I leave?

Comment

Working...
                              X