Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is wanting to be popular a bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is wanting to be popular a bad thing?

Hi all,

The topic about you on the internet and you in real life got me thinking. Is it a bad thing to want to be popular? I think we all just want to be accepted. Like myself for example, I'm been working real hard to move up the soical ladder and I'm starting to see results...slowly seeing results. Because of this I feel better about myself, I'm actually happy sometimes.

So I guess the question is, is wanting to fit in a bad thing? And how far is to far when trying to become popular. The movie Mean Girls comes to mind..

Thanks!

I think it's human nature to want to fit in with some kind of group, even if that group is just a couple or a family. Human beings are social creatures.

Comment

I don't know if you want to bank you self- esteem on who you associate with. That is giving people to much power over you. Having a group of sincere friends is a gold mine, but associating with people simply for selfish means is a dark road to travel.

Comment

Iagree w/ Dr. Wahoo.

BTW welcome and please tell us a little bit about yourself and how you fit into this crazy world of partner-ing w/ a medical person !

Comment

Interesting topic. I don't like to admit this, because there is this cultural lore that if you were no popular during adolescence, there is some strength of character gained by having endured the pain. It is a bit too self-congralatory to admit popularity but I'll sheepishly admit that at one point in my life, I was popular.

Here is the big shocker about popularity: It was hell too, just a different kind. I cared more about what other people thought of me than what I thought. When you are "on top" so to speak, you are a target. I had the spine of a jellyfish. The "friendships" were so shallow. It was really awful.

Now, I'm not popular at ALL but infinitely happier. At work, I rarely socialize with anyone and mostly keep to myself. Socially, I do o.k. with small talk, but I feel zero need to work the room or be in the know. I have a few deep and longstanding friendships and that sustains me. I
          could give a rip about being popular. In fact, I like being off the radar.

Popularity is way overrated. Deep and meaningful friendships is where it is at.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
          X