Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

storing opened wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storing opened wine

i knew with all of our lushes here .... i mean wonderful members ... i could get a quick answer to my dilemma:

I've opened a bottle of white this morning and can't get the cork back in. What is an appropriate method to seal it again?

Before you start making jokes, remember:

1) it's after 5 somewhere in the world
    2) i was cooking!

Is it red wine or white?

I agree with the saran wrap if you absolutely can't get the cork back in, but I would then cover the saran wrap with aluminum foil as well just to make sure.

Make sure you put white in the fridge and leave red where it won't get hot.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

What's leftover wine?

Jenn

Comment

Getting off to an early start, are we?

I love these little gizmos. They cost just a few dollars:

I like the saran wrap and rubber band idea. We usually leave red wine on the counter but it isn't out for more than another day or so

Silly question, but did you try the other end of the cork?

Comment

If you're not planning on finishing it in the next day or two, definitely stick it in the fridge even if it's red.

Now Secret Santa knows what to get you this year.

Comment

I use something kind of like this:
            http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/details ... 256E5E0753

It's about ten dollars but I looooove it!! (If it's already in use though - not that I'm ever drinking more than one bottle at a time - I just flip the cork over. I can never get the same end of the cork back in a bottle.)

I keep whites and reds in the fridge - it should last for 2-3 more days as a white.

Comment

Yes, those air corks are the best solution but if you don't have one or time to run out and get one the saran wrap/aluminum foil is a quick fix.

Comment

Aluminum isn't great in the fridge, especially with acidic whites. I don't remember why exactly, but I know I've heard that. Just FYI. Anyone else heard this?

Comment

yep - nothing is perfect except those corks made specifically for storing wine. But the aluminum shouldn't hurt anything if the Saran wrap is between it and the wine.

Of course by now Jenn has probably drank the wine!

Comment

Duh. Cooking wine = drinking wine.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug

Drink it. It's less confusing and much more fun.

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Dear God ... I've finally gotten through the responses and I feel like I NEED a drink!

Yes - I did try the other end of the cork (not entirely wine-virgin here). I have to be quite functional tonight what with reassembling the basement now that painting is finished ...

I'll drink some with dinner.

Comment

Well goodness sakes. If there is any wine left in that bottle by now, I think we should all come over and have a drink!

I use the air cork or whatever it's called. It has a little rubber stopper and a suck-the-air-out thingymabob.

You guys crack me up! This thread is hysterical!

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
                            Yes - I did try the other end of the cork (not entirely wine-virgin here).
                            Well, since you asked in the first place... .

Comment

Those people from Stanford never know what they're talking about!

Comment

Working...
                              X