Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sad Statement on Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Statement on Society

I heard a story on the radio today which said that 43% of Americans will carve a pumpkin for Halloween, but only 39% of registered voters are expected to turn out to vote in this mid-term election.

I know one has nothing to do with the other, but it blows my mind that so few people vote!

Let's not even talk about how many people vote for American Idol and not for the elections...

Comment

Maybe if so many of our politicians were not jack-o-a$$es more people would vote.

Comment

Well, there's two ways to deal with that:

Don't vote and then forfeit the right to complain.

or vote and feel completely free to email or call your elected representatives- for whatever happens to annoy you that day.

I personally go for the burning up the emails/phone lines method.

I have voted in every single election that I've been eligible for- it's the first thing I do when I move- register to vote. Seriously, I call the utilities, and then figure out how to register.

I've voted in DC (pisses me off too, no voice in Congress. What the hell is up with that in this day and age), MD, VA, and TX.

Jenn

Comment

I vote, but I also don't fool myself that email, letters, or any thing but fat cash makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by pstone
            Maybe if so many of our politicians were not jack-o-a$$es more people would vote.

:>
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree - I feel like I'm voting for the lesser of two evils most of the time.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've been trying to figure out how to increase voter awareness and participation around here without it being a partisan effort. It's a difficult problem. Anything you do is going to be seen as a manipulation. Hence.....you are an evil political operative, not a concerned citizen.

I would like to see a completely non-partisan event downtown that goes over the ballot with NO POLITICS - just this is what's on the ballot, these are the issues. Maybe you could have educational materials out for each issue/race for voters to pick up. But, who am I kidding? It would be a zoo. People would argue. Politicians would show up and complain about how much time each received. Total ::

I think that's what turns people off of the political process. It's more about winning than it is about working for the US government. And - of course - it's also about the other guy losing!!! We just love that. We are a judgemental, petty people.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

To add to the crappy political climate:

The Daily Show is in Ohio this week (Columbus). If I still lived in Cleveland I would TOTALLY be there. It was absolutely hillarious last night.

Comment

Working...
                  X