Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Matching for Fellowship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching for Fellowship

DF and I were just talking about this tonight and he actually wasn't sure about this, but does anyone on here know if for fellowships they do matching like they do for residency? And if not how the fellowship app process works?

Thanks!

It depends. Some do the match, others do not.
    In our case, we will have to go through the match for a pediatric surgery fellowship.

Comment

Yup some do, some don't. It varies by fellowship. Foot and ankle used to participate in the match, then they decided not to, and now they are going to again!

Looks like we will be matching in a few years...again!
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

In some cases, there is a formal match but there is a lot of behind-the-scenes phone-calling and hand-shaking type stuff that happens.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

In our case, since there is such a shortage, my husband applied and we pretty much knew he'd get the fellowship. (He had to do an Army fellowship. Some military fellowships are done in civilian programs though- like Army pediatric nephrology and AF Child Neurology)

JEnn

Comment

My husband interviewed at several places. I do think there was a specific match day because I remember he heard from different places at different times, often right after he interviewed at that location.

Comment

Can't speak to anesthesia but in neurosurgery there is not a match, more like a regular job interview.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Path does not match for fellowships. I honestly think putting people through that hell once in their lives is MORE than enough.

Comment

Yeah, Ortho has the match for hand and for foot and ankle (as of next year), but sports, tumor, joints, etc. don't as far as I know.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Neonatology doesn't match
                    Needs

Comment

fingers crossed...we would reallllllllllllly like to stay in chicago that year, but DF thinks its a slim chance with only 4 pediatric anesthesia spots available...

Comment

Just curious: where do they do pediatric anesthesia in Chicago?

Don't worry, my dh isn't interested in it nor in staying in Chicago...

We're thinking about fellowships as well, but there's still time. I'm not sure what the application process is like. Maybe Vishenka knows - she's further along.
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

By the end of 3rd year, DH was so fed up with training, he didn't want to do a fellowship. [insert happy dance] So I'm not sure what the process is. Basically most of the anesthesia fellowships (except for pain) equal more money but also harder life as an attending.

I don't know if your DH has done all the rotations, but here's why I was against fellowships:
                          Peds - work with gas all day, every day = DH comes home as zombie all gassed up, plus kids who require surgery are often pretty sick and loosing a baby is harder than loosing an adult
                          OB - OB calls are brutal and he comes home hating pregnant women (self explanatory)
                          Cardiac - extremely sick patients, lots of obese (apparantly anesthesiologist help move patients), very long cases
                          Pain - lots of addicts, requires patience and ability to talk to awake patients for long periods of time (a lot of psychiatry involved and not much medicine)
                          Regional - don't know much about it, but there isn't a great demand for this and it doesn't bring in more cash

Did I leave anything out?

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                            Just curious: where do they do pediatric anesthesia in Chicago?
                            They do it at Children's Memorial, University of Illinois-Chicago, and by the time DF is done with residency University of Chicago.

Comment

We are doing tumour and arthroplasty in Ortho and neither one are a match system....it's really not like a job interview either though...more like a who knows who where thing, UGH

Comment

Working...
                              X