Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

•  AAAARRRGGGHHHH!

Well, it seems as though the plans to to move to NJ for Dave's 3rd and 4th year have changed a bit. (KCOM is a split curriculum-- the first 2 years is done in Kirksville, MO, the second 2 years are done at one of about 25 hospitals that KCOM has a partnership with). We went out to NJ last week to find a place to live. I called no less than 60 apartment complexes, townhomes, rental homes- you name it, I called it. Only about 10 of these had any availability. Of those 10, only 3 would let us have our dog. I've had this dog for 7 years- I'm not giving him up. The first home we looked at was so old that the wiring for the electricitry was put in after the house was built-- everything ran along the corners of the walls in casings. It had about 5 different colors of carpet- the dryer outlet & exhaust hose were in the kitchen less than 2 feet from the oven. You couldnt open the over door all the way if the dryer was there. They wanted $1700 per month for that place. It would've cost us a month and a half security deposit + the first month's rent + a month rent to the real estate agent that found the place for us. I think that's more than we put down on our condo here in Kirksville!!! The second place was a renovated frat house- we would've been renting the 2nd floor and attic. The attic was so short that Dave (who is 6 feet tall) could only stand up in the middle of the room- he had to duck everywhere else. They wanted $1400/month. We couldn't look at the 3rd place because it was occupied. They wanted $1700 for it, too.

After all this trouble, we sat down & put pen to paper & realized that we really can't afford to live there. We could cover living expenses, but nothing else. There would be no money for me to continue going to graduate school, no money for eating out or going to movies, and definitely no money for having a baby.

How do you do it Luanne?!

So, we contacted the KCOM Regional Affairs office & put in a request to transfer to one of the hospitals in Cleveland. The cost of living is a great deal cheaper & we won't have that awful traffic to deal with. Even having lived in Dallas-Ft Worth for 5 years didn't prepare me for that NJ traffic! Right now, the hospital in Warransville Heights, OH has approved Dave to do rotations there. Now the Ohio CORE- the folks that oversee medical ed in Ohio- have to approve it, as does the Dean of Regional Affairs. That one's a given, so we are really just waiting on the Ohio CORE.

I am someone that really does much better with some time to adjust to major changes in my life- changes such as this included. I'm doing pretty well with these last minute changes (we move August 7),but am feeling a little antsy about not knowing for sure, not having a place to live yet, and all that other stuff that comes with these major moves.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent a little. Dave's been great through all of this. I think he's a little disappointed at not getting to train at St. Joseph's in NJ, but realizes that there are great opportunities in Cleveland, too.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Don't despair. Just think, you are making memories!!!! Thats what I tell myself when things aren't going to well and I feel like giving up. I think where you were looking is a lot more expensive than the Princeton area. A friend of mine just rented a beautiful 3 bedroom townhouse for 1400. I guess you are closer to New York. I know I definitely would not want to retire here, the property taxes are outrageous. Good luck.

Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks Luanne! The area wasn't bad-- lots of trees and definitely lots of things to do & see. For as excited as I was about moving there, once we were in the NYC metro area, it seemed more like one of those "nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there" kind of places.

We are still waiting to see if Cleveland is a for-sure thing.....

Wendy

Comment

well wendy look at it this way anywhere has got to be better then Kirksville

Comment

Certainly can't argue that logic, although there is something to be said for a place that you can run 5 different errands all over town and be back home within an hour!

Wendy

Comment

Well, the Regional affairs department told us Friday that we will now probably be going to Richmond Heights, OH instead of Warrensville Heights. Not a big difference-- only 10 miles or so, but it is that probably part that's about to make me (and Dave) CRAZY!

Once again, we were told that they would be able to tell us for sure on Monday. We are going on 3 weeks of being told "tomorrow- we'll be able to tell you tomorrow!"

DECIDE ALREADY FOLKS!!!!!!!

Wendy

Comment

Wendy-

If you come to Cleveland, I will be your neighbor.

jennifer
              Needs

Comment

That's great! It's always nice to at least sort-of know someone when you're moving to a new area. What do you know about the Richmond Heights area? Good to live in, bad to live in? Cost of living doesn't seem to be too bad based on internet searches I've done-- would you agree?

I'll let ya' know for sure once I know!

Wendy

Comment

And the verdict is Trenton, MI. We are feeling pretty disappointed, but it is by no means the end of the world. We don't really know much about the area, so we are also feeling a little overwhelmed at how much we have to accomplish in just a few days.

Anyone know anything about this area?

Wendy

Comment

Oh GOSH, Wendy!!!!! How stressful! That isn't anything like what you expected, is it? I didn't even know that Michigan was a possibility...Have you been to Homefair.com? It will let you check out the cost of living, etc....I don't know if it has an apartment finding guide or not...

I have a friend from Michigan who loved it there...does that help? At least we'll both be snowed in together......

Let us know what else you find out...

Kris
                    The Medical Spouse Network

Comment

Wendy- I am from Michigan originally, so I may be able to help a little. Trenton, I think, is near Flint and northeast of Detroit. Flint has good parts and really bad parts. Trenton is a pretty nice area outlying Flint. I think the cost of living is reasonable there and you should be able to find affordable housing.

I am sorry that you won't be in Cleveland. Richmond Heights is a pretty nice place and very close to me.

jennifer
                      Needs

Comment

We are now back from our second home hunting experience in two different states in less than a month. At least this time we were sucessful!

Trenton is one of the southern suburbs of Detroit-- probably 2 hours from Flint, actually. It is not a bad area at all & is right on the Detroit river. We found a really cool house to rent (our first time to not live in an apartment!) in Grosse Ile. Grosse Ile is actually an island that sits between Detroit and the Canadian border. It's a 2 br + sunroom sitting on about a 1/2 acre of land. We have several 40-50 foot high trees in our new yard. It's pretty incredible.

When we first drove onto the island (by bridge) we passed by all these huge $1/2 million homes. We just drove around a little more, found some smaller homes & this one for rent. We called the number & found the rent to be no more than the rents we were finding off the island. We looked inside & decided it would work.

I think that the thing I like the best is when we are on the island, it feels like we are away from everything-- like it truly is this little haven from the hectic life that goes on everywhere else. There's a paved bike/running path that goes around the island and just this great sense of community. I hope that's not me projecting what I want it to be instead of looking at the reality. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Now to find a job...

Wendy

Comment

Oh Wendy, It really sounds neat!!! I am so glad that you guys found something affordable and a bit out of the way....It sounds like the property is really lovely and I genuinely hope it will be the "haven"!!!

Now on to planning and job-hunting, eh? When do you guys move?

Kris
                          The Medical Spouse Network

Comment

Opps Wendy- I was thinking of Fenton when I mentioned it being near Flint. haha.

Gross Ile is a nice place. I had many friends from college who grew up in that area.

Glad you found a nice place.

Jennifer
                            Needs

Comment

I'm glad we found a nice place too. Finding a place to live is probably the most stressful part of a move to me. Packing boxes is a pain in the , but nowhere near as stressful to me as finding a place to live.

Speaking of packing-- have i done any of it yet? NOPE! The big move day is August 7th-- less than a month. I better get moving!!!

Wendy

Comment

Working...
                              X