Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adopting a Family for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopting a Family for Christmas

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've always wanted to adopt a family and I found an agency here in town that has a list of families in need. Any advice, experiences, suggestions?

Jodi

I had a friend who did that and was taken aback that the things on the kids' wishlists were more expensive than what she was planning to get her own nephews.

I would think a well-run program would have a way around that, but it might be something to ask about before committing.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

a looooong time ago, when i was in girl scouts we did a gift basket.

the way we did it was with a food gift basket and things that they needed with one toy for each child.

things needed: winter coats, hats, shoes, jeans, a special dress, bath items, gift certificate to a food store.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
        I had a friend who did that and was taken aback that the things on the kids' wishlists were more expensive than what she was planning to get her own nephews.
        I'm trying to remember when, but I have encountered that. I think it was something through preschool and I just asked for a different family.

We did adopt a family a few times when I was growing up. For the most part, it was a good experience and really put things in perspective. Especially when we delivered the food and gifts. I would recommend trying it. We also did the Meals on Wheels delivery for Thanksgiving or Christmas a few times. It doesn't take long and isn't much of an interruption to the day as long as you aren't hosting.

I'd like to do that again next year. When we go see Santa, we have DD take one of the tags off the Toys for Tots tree and buy a gift. (Or whatever that is called...but you get the idea).

Comment

If you can't find a good program you might see what programs your Salvation Army has - they tend to be true families in need IMO.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We always sponsored through church or school. I think my Alumni group does something as well.

Comment

Working...
            X