Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

what is on your menu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is on your menu?

besides the turkey, what are you having? im starting to get a bit stressed (and have been awake since 4:30 thinking about it) about dinner. if it was just us or family i wouldnt care. but, because other interns are coming...im stressed.

wine?

salad?

yes/no???
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Let's see. I'm a little stressed too...because my mom is visting. Just a little, though. She's my mom, after all. I'm thinking turkey, roasted root vegtables, mashed potatoes, butternut squash with pesto, stuffing , cornbread, green beans and.....that's enough, right? I'll probably think up a few more must haves. The dessert is really my issue. DS wants a berry pie w/ice cream. DH *must* have pumpkin pie. My mom only has mincemeat pie once a year -- at Thanksgiving. and DD only eats the whipped cream cake I posted for the holiday kids' dessert. So, do you think 4 desserts is overkill for 6 people? Maybe?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

sounds yummy, angie. you're only a few hrs from me....im leaving dh here and trucking over.

i think im going to try making a pumpkin and cream cheese pie. i found it in a mag. and it looks delicious.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Angie, if you make 4 desserts for 6, I'll help you justify that.

Besides 5 people feeling just a little too small for Thanksgiving, I want more people around as an excuse to make more dessert. Pumpkin pie, of course, pecan for DH, and either triple ginger pear or apple cranberry. I suppose I could make some pie-lets.

We might join forces with another family. I'm hoping that works out. I expect we'll have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberry relish, green beans or something green, perhaps salad. Maybe rolls, certainly nice for leftover sandwiches. And pie!!!

Comment

We'll have a pretty decent sized breakfast- my husband, brother and I are running in a Turkey Trot this year.

Thanksgiving will be: turkey, mashed potatoes, the apple/yam layered thing I make (see recipes) peas with orange zest and a splash of orange liquor, rolls, sausage stuffing, oyster stuffing, cranberry sauce (we change the sauce every year in an attempt to find the perfect cranberry sauce- this year's contender is a ginger-cranberry sauce from Eating Well magazine.

Desserts are pumpkin pie and apple pie and sometime gingerbread.

Wine will be the '06 Beaujolais - it's a tradition. (has anyone heard anything about this years wines? Vinshenka- any word from the importers?)

This year my cousin is bringing the college girlfriend. They're seniors so I'm betting there will be a spring wedding...

Jenn

Comment

It's funny I was just talking to my parents last night about this and teasing my dad about how the only flavorings he will tolerate are butter and salt--and how he's going to have to compromise on that this year (the first year I'm making Thanksgiving for the family).

He won't have to compromise much, though. Ours is pretty much a cranberry-served-still-shaped-like-a-can family:

--Turkey (brined beforehand a la Alton Brown)
            --Oyster stuffing
            --Regular stuffing
            --Mashed potatoes
            --Gravy
            --Sweet potatoes (I want to do Cheri's recipe--do you think that's too parallel to the mashed potatoes, though?)
            --Cornbread
            --Green vegetable (probably either green beans or roasted asparagus)
            --Can-shaped cranberry
            --Real cranberry (this will be a first, but from what I understand it's pretty damn easy)
            --Orange Jell-O salad that my SIL makes and is good (if you were raised on Jell-O salads)
            --Pies from Baker's Square (I'm going to delegate this to my Mom, but probably pumpkin and apple and [shudder] French Silk).

The above will be made with more than salt and butter, though.

We also do appetizers a few hours before dinner, but that's probably a separate post.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I agree about the mashed potatoes and sweet ones but since I like mashed sweet potatoes so much, I do that anyway.

Roasted asparagus sounds good! I'll keep that in mind.

I like the real cranberry sauce. Are you making it raw? It is easy, esp since it can be done ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                I agree about the mashed potatoes and sweet ones but since I like mashed sweet potatoes so much, I do that anyway.
                Good. If anyone asks, I'll tell them you said it was okay.

Roasted asparagus sounds good! I'll keep that in mind.
                I put em in a big ziploc bag with some olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper and gently rub them around until the asparagi are coated, then lay them out single layer for roasting. Even when theyr'e a little overdone they're still good. Not that I would know from experience or anything.

I like the real cranberry sauce. Are you making it raw? It is easy, esp since it can be done ahead.
                Like from a bag of raw cranberries but then cooked in a saucepan. That kind is served cold? I have to find a recipe for this.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                  Good. If anyone asks, I'll tell them you said it was okay.
                  Just send them to me.

Sometimes I cook the fresh cranberries and sometimes I do the raw recipe on back. The raw one is basically the bag of cranberries (rinsed and picked over) in the food processor with some sugar and, I don't know, half to a whole orange/tangerine seeded. Yum. I like to mix leftovers into plain yogurt.

Comment

I like the stuff out of the can. I try to get it out whole so you can use the ridges as guidlines for slicing.

Classy ..

Comment

Those both sound good, thanks! Mmm, Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
                        I like the stuff out of the can. I try to get it out whole so you can use the ridges as guidlines for slicing.

Classy ..
                        Slicing?! Well if you want to go overboard and be all Martha Stewart about it . . .

Comment

Last night we had a mini Thanksgiving here...

Rosemary, Thyme and Lemon roasted turkey with roasted potatoes
                          Rustic Fregola with Lemon, Shrimp and Spinach
                          Sweet Corn Chowder
                          Key Lime Pie
                          Wine, wine, wine.

Haven't decided on the actual Thanksgiving menu yet, but I'm cooking this year so I will let you know.

Comment

DH and I were just finalizing the list so here it is:
                            My parents are coming with the rest of the family and we will be making most of dinner. I am so excited.

Julie, we are such fans of the brined turkey a la Alton!

Dinner Menu
                            1) Shrimp Cocktail (with cocktail sauce)
                            2) Turkey
                            3) Cranberry sauce (parents)
                            4) Stuffing w/sausage
                            5) Sweet potato (parents)
                            6) Macaroni and Cheese
                            7) Gravy
                            8) Green Beans (parents)
                            9) Collard greens (parents)
                            10) Rolls
                            11) Rice (parents and us)
                            12) Pecan pie
                            13) Cheesecake
                            14) Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Pie (parents)
                            15) Soda
                            16) Egg Nog (parents)
                            Danielle
                            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Our dinner is pretty traditional I think:

Turkey
                              Stuffing (some cooked in the bird and some outside of the bird)
                              Candied sweet potatoes
                              Mashed potatoes
                              Gravy
                              Green bean casserole
                              Broccoli and cheese casserole
                              Rolls
                              Bread - banana, cranberry, and pumpkin

For dessert - pumpkin pie and apple pie

Only 11 more days!!!!
                              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X