Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Travelling to France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to France

DF and I are most likely going to French Riviera for our honeymoon, but don't really know much about which airport to fly in to, where to stay with all the beach towns around, etc...

It seems like so many of you are much more wordly than either of us are, so have any of you been to the French Riviera? If so, can you offer some words of wisdom?

THANKS!

I would say DeGaulle if you're flying out of Chicago. That's the airport you'll be able to fly into if you want to go non-stop. You can either rent a car from there or take the train. I'm not a big fan of driving in France. Although, come to think of it, it may actually be more similar to driving in Chicago than not! I have no problem with driving in Germany, where it's, uh, more orderly... It sounds like a great trip! On a dreary day like today in Chicago, you must be pining for your honeymoon. May I go with you?!!!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

ME TOO!!!!!! Sigh. It sounds wonderful!
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Flying in and out of CDG is really quick and easy. I would then take the Eurail to the Riviera. I only stayed in Nice. SO and I both hated it and we actually left a day early. They have some good bars and things but the area is very very dirty and sketchy. We were threatened on the (very uncomfortable, not that pretty, rocky) beach by some bums with knives who started throwing rocks at us. We also saw a pregnant drunk woman smoking fall out of a phonebooth and pass out on the sidewalk. It was just... interesting.

I would recommend Cannes - it's nicer. Also, Monaco was fun but not as impressive as we expected. We just went for a day trip and that was plenty.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

I would suggest doing some reasearch at the various travel sites- expedia, travelocity, frommer, budgetravel, and check the USAToday, Washington Post and NYtimes travel sections- they often have much better ideas than the run of the mill travel books.

I LOVE the DK travel guides- used them for Italy, Ireland and someplace else that I'm now forgetting (unfortunately we had more limited options for Russia)

Definitely plan on either flying into Paris and taking the train or flying into a closer airport. You can get almost anywhere in Europe by train, bus or cab so unless you're planning a trip that has you changing hotels daily, I wouldn't bother with a rental car. They're expensive, you need an international driver's license and your insurance may not cover you overseas.

Jenn

Comment

yah, we cant wait...although the ticker countsdown to the wedding I'm really using it to track the days till our honeymoon (i just figured it woud look bad if i had ____ days till honeymoon!!) haha jk...kind of

but OBVIOUSLY everyone is invited...DF wouldn't mind that at all, he is a ladies man afterall haha

If flying into DeGaulle is the cheapest way to go then we'll go for that then rent a car, in fact it might be nice to have a car for days when we might want to town hop along the coast...hmm

Comment

Seriously, you won't need a car. The trains there are incredible and walking within the towns is NOT an issue. We were in Europe for a month and never rented a car and we didn't miss out on a thing. The train is MUCH easier and you don't have to worry about liabilities. Plus, it's comfy and nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                You can get almost anywhere in Europe by train, bus or cab so unless you're planning a trip that has you changing hotels daily, I wouldn't bother with a rental car. They're expensive, you need an international driver's license and your insurance may not cover you overseas.

Jenn

Good to know!

Originally posted by stellava
                We were threatened on the (very uncomfortable, not that pretty, rocky) beach by some bums with knives who started throwing rocks at us. We also saw a pregnant drunk woman smoking fall out of a phonebooth and pass out on the sidewalk.
                Who are these people?!

Comment

Be sure to use your left foot if you step in dog poop; it's considered lucky in France. Boy was I lucky when we were there!

Jodi

Comment

Many moons ago when I went to Europe, I bought my Eurail pass through Rick Steves company. I agree about using the trains over renting a car.
                    http://www.ricksteves.com/

I also found his guidebook helpful. Lodging recommendations are good but might not be honeymoon style, depending on what you are looking for. We used a DK book for a recent trip and I thought it was pretty good, not as good on food and lodging as maps and sightseeing. I'm sure you could check out a Fodor's or Frommers from the library too.

Comment

We used the Let's Go guides since they are geared kind of toward younger travelers. I thought it was great and would definitely recommend it.

Comment

we used Rick Steeves and Let's Go. When I get home tonight, I will get the journal of our trip to Europe (we did the Cote D'Azur as well) and I'll let you know what some of the hotels, sites etc. were like. No matter where you go...it'll be great!!
                        Danielle
                        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by LDRO
                          When I get home tonight, I will get the journal of our trip to Europe (we did the Cote D'Azur as well) and I'll let you know what some of the hotels, sites etc. were like.
                          that would be AMAZING!! Thank you!

Comment

Check out Villefranche-sur-Mer (sp?). It is a really quaint town about 5 miles or so from Nice. Gorgeous and not as crowded as Nice. I would recommend staying at one of the smaller towns around Nice. Nice (and Cannes for that matter) struck me as having too much of a big city feel (but some people like that!)
                            Ditto the others about not needing a car AT ALL.

You will have a magnificent time.

Comment

Working...
                            X