Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Family games/traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family games/traditions

Growing up it was always parcheesi, monopoly, UNO,rummy (cards) & huge jigsaw puzzles of nature scenes w/gazillion pieces!

Now...it's wack a mole on sun nights in my son's room.

We are a HUGE games family and SO loves them too!!

I have a BUNCH of games, but here are the ones we play regularly or with family and friends:

Scrabble
    Die Siedler Von Cata (The Settlers of Catan)
    Tabboo
    Cards/Poker/31/Rummy
    Guesstures
    Scattegories
    Risk
    Stratego
    Boggle
    Sudoku
    Mancala
    Othello
    and MORE!

Comment

UNO and "I doubt it" aka Bulls**t are two games that we loved!!! When I was younger we used to play Trouble (the game) a lot...Ahhh those were the good ole days!
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Cranium!! We love Cranium. Both the kids and adult games. We have like 5 of them. I have always love Clue. We play poker too; big in DH's side of the family. Being able to sit at the adult poker table is like a rite of passage. I like trivial pursuit but the questions tend to be hard for me at least. We have the 90s version and I kinda rock at that.

Comment

My husband's family is cards or Trivia Pursuit (play with my DH or MIL otherwise you will lose) - although we played the pop culture version last year and me, my BIL, and FIL kicked everyone's booty! They also play cards.

My family plays dominos.

We're all very competitive so its pretty funny!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

dh & I play scrabble, cribbage, boggle -- all the time (we're really boring). When i have a captive audience (I mean friends over) I try to get everyone to play Cranium, Trivial Pursuit, Apples to Apples ...

When BIL is around we always play Trivial Pursuit, and my proudest moment came when uneducated white girl trounced both of the over-educated Indian sons in front of my IL's. Rare to beat both BIL and dh in one sitting -- but I did it.

I LOVE the idea of everyone exchanging a board game ... I'll have to float that idea out there.

Comment

apples to apples is lots o fun and even the little ones can get in on it

scrabble is a must, especially the one with the turntable board!!
              Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
              ~~~~~
              SAHM to 3

Comment

Originally posted by erinna
                scrabble is a must, especially the one with the turntable board!!
                Dear Secret Santa, I'll throw you the extra $20 if you buy me the Deluxe Turntable Scrabble. :>

Comment

For some reason Thanksgiving has always been a very athletic holiday for my family. Lots of football!! When we were younger we spent the holiday with all of cousin, so it was easy to field two teams for a big game. Recently it has just been my immediate family… so my father decided to replace the football game with a 2 on 2 lacrosse game (I have 3 sisters).

I don’t think we’re having it this year b/c my oldest sister is 5 months pregnant and the baby (she’s 18 ) seems to have been truly traumatized by her first year of college preseason lacrosse. She told us she wants nothing to do with it during her time off… so it might be a good point to switch to board games…

In general my mother loves any sort game that involves betting. Mainly cards, but she always seems to find a way of sending us to grab our wallets before we start a new game. Then she feels badly b/c she knows we’re all poor and ends up reimbursing anyone that lost…. We’ve suggested just not playing for money, but she wants nothing to do with that. :nono:

Over the summer we got pretty into Catch Phrase, its pretty hysterical. And I personally love trivial pursuit (90’s edition only).

Comment

We have a cute little traditional Christmas Eve “made up” game too… is it too early to share that?? I think I will anyway… I like thinking about the holidays :santa:

My mom sets out a wrapped gift for each of the kids playing and everyone picks one. Then she reads The Night Before Christmas and every time she says “the” you pass your gift. So then at the end you keep the gift you’re holding. I have no idea where it came from, but when we were really young one of my sisters wouldn’t go to bed with out trying to open some of her presents… I guess this was my mom’s way of shutting her up. But it became a cute little family tradition. Hopefully my sister keeps having kids so we can play again (well watch)

Comment

I love games! I don't think there is a game mentioned here we don't own. I have TWO games closets!
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

SO and I are so romantic... we played Yahtzee in bed last night.

Comment

We love Apples to Apples when we have a big group, which we normally do.

When its just us we like playing Trivial Pursuit although we both suck! haha

And at home with my mom I used to play Backgammon a lot!

Comment

We had plenty of games growing up, but as a family we only played during the holidays. Mostly monopoly and large puzzles. DH and I love playing memory (you're never too old!!), scrabble, connect four, simon and parcheese. I also like card games like speed.
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I am a game freak. My whole family is actually…except DH, who during family gatherings plays the role of party pooper. Currently my favorite games include, Dutch Blitz, Settlers of Catan and Scattegories. I haven’t heard of Apples to Apples. I’ll have to look it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X