Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Homemade Gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Gifts?

I recently picked up Martha Stewarts special mag Holiday Handmade Gifts for some ideas. I think I'm gonna try the chutney, the dolls (maybe) , snowman ornaments (w/DS), and the kid drawings transfered on tote bags for the grandparents w/DS. Also I'm giving pics of DD of her first year, a pic from each month in a frame. I did this after DS's first year and it turned out really cute.

Anyone else making handy gifts?

I haven't seen this issue but I did the photo transfer a while back. Your gift ideas sound great.

DH's first year of medical school I had a crappy paying job and we made almost all of our gifts, mostly from Martha Stewart good ideas. I did the photo transfer to make photo albums, mosaic photo albums, and chenille wrapped hangers. Photo transfer was the most fun, I think. I used to make peanut (or nut) brittle for FIL.

I'm not making anything this year. I recently read an article in Family Fun about ways to make holidays less hectic. One suggestion came from a woman who starts making gifts with her kids in the summer. I'm not sure I could be that on top of things but it would be a great way to space things out.

Comment

I did framed photographs for my mom and I think I'm going to do spice mixes or foods for friends. I'm also trying to put together a cookbook but I don't know that it will be done in time.

Comment

My cousin and I are doing a family cookbook with hostess aprons (which I have to make). Most of the women in the family are getting hostess aprons or a regular apron. I ahve about 15 to make. I am taking a break from sewing, I just made a ton of kid's aprons and baby blankets. Will start on Xmas gift after T' Day. Those ideas sounds great. Let me know how the doll turns out. You know me and dolls.

Comment

[quote="stellava"]I did framed photographs for my mom and I think I'm going to do spice mixes or foods for friends. I'm also trying to put together a cookbook but I don't know that it will be done in time.
          /quote]

I love those pictures. You are such a great photographer.

Comment

Originally posted by calimoma2001
            My cousin and I are doing a family cookbook with hostess aprons (which I have to make). Most of the women in the family are getting hostess aprons or a regular apron. I ahve about 15 to make. I am taking a break from sewing, I just made a ton of kid's aprons and baby blankets. Will start on Xmas gift after T' Day. Those ideas sounds great. Let me know how the doll turns out. You know me and dolls.

Oooooh, I thought about this! Do you use a pattern or how are you making them??? I love my apron and would like to spread the love, but I think it might be too complicated for me. I'd love to see what you are doing with yours!!

Comment

Candy Cane Bath Salts- These not only smell great, but will also energize the senses while soothing tired muscles.

2 Cups Epsom Salts

1/2 Cup Sea Salt

4-6 drops of pepermint oil

2-3 drops of red food coloring

Place one cup of Epsom salts in a bowl with 1/4 cup sea salt and add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil. Mix well. Place the remaining ingredients in a second bowl. You will have red and white mixtures. Layer the two in a decorative glass bottle and tie with ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by stellava
                Oooooh, I thought about this! Do you use a pattern or how are you making them??? I love my apron and would like to spread the love, but I think it might be too complicated for me. I'd love to see what you are doing with yours!!
                I made the "pattern" myself. I am doing mostly hostess aprons and one full length apron for DH's g'ma who paints. It was pretty simple. I just cut the printed fabric then I back it with a solid cotton. I use grossgrain ribbon as the tie. Here is my demo apron (link below, hope it works). It turned out a little crooked. It was my first one. My second one turned out ALOT better. Now I only have 15 more to go. I found some really cute fabrics; pears and apples, retro with pics on how to keep a husband. I am going to try to make a child sized version too for DD and my cousin's DD. We'll see how that goes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73637714@N00/299415576/

Comment

I making these really cute totes that I found in a knitting book- it's basically taking older sweaters, felting them and then stitching them all together. So, my first sweater is drying in the laundry shed and I'll report back how it all goes.

Jenn

Comment

Sounds really cute. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Was it pretty simple? It took me FOREVER to knit 2 scarves for last Xmas.

Comment

Lots of wonderful gift ideas! So creative. Stella, those are great pictures.

The grandparents are getting some framed photos/scrapbooks of the grandchildren and some homemade fridge magnets or ornaments from DD. For the rest of the family, I'm putting some food baskets together with jams I made over the summer, my favorite Market Spice teas, and gingerbread biscotti. But I'm stumped for some inexpensive, creative packaging for them...something other than the usual wicker baskets. Ideas anyone?
                      Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Originally posted by ellie
                        Lots of wonderful gift ideas! So creative. Stella, those are great pictures.

The grandparents are getting some framed photos/scrapbooks of the grandchildren and some homemade fridge magnets or ornaments from DD. For the rest of the family, I'm putting some food baskets together with jams I made over the summer, my favorite Market Spice teas, and gingerbread biscotti. But I'm stumped for some inexpensive, creative packaging for them...something other than the usual wicker baskets. Ideas anyone?
                        Is there a trick to making jam? I'm gonna try to make the chutney and never have made anything like it. I'm a little worried it'll turn out horrid!

Comment

The most important part of jam-making is the sterilization of the containers. Other than that, it's a matter of following instructions.

Jenn

Comment

Good to know

Comment

Yeah, mold and bacteria are never good Christmas gifts! Just follow the sterilizing instructions (and make sure you have GOOD tongs to fish out the boiled containters) and you'll be fine.

We made our own strawberry and raspberry jams for years and my mom still makes coponata and various other preserves/chutneys/sauces. Generally, if you're going to use it quickly or freeze it and use it quickly you don't have to be "as" strict but with gifts- better extra safe!

jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X