Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Surgical Residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical Residents

My husband, like I said before is really looking into surgery. I think general/trauma. Anyway I would love to talk with some surgical residents, especially the ones in MN just so I have a better idea of what to expect and more info. Also, how do you privately send a message to someone? I was trying to figure that one out- and on my own might take a while!! Thanks for all your help and support and have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving- I hope you get to spend it with your hubbie/wife!

Along the tool bar above, the option second in from the right that says PM. Click on that and you will be able to send and pick up private messages.

Comment

I will P.M. you with our phone number. I must warn you, DH is on call Wednesday and Friday.

I think I might know someone at HCMC through a friend of a friend kind of deal too. Is he thinking Academic or Community based Surgery?

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Surgery

He is mostly interested in non-acedemic but I know he will apply to the U as well as HCMC, I didn't know Regions had a residency.

Comment

Regions does not have its own program. The U. sends residents to Regions, Methodist, some small hospital out in Stillwater, the VA, and a couple other of places that I've blanked out on.

Kelly

Comment

Feel free to PM me with a list of questions. I'll ask DH and write you back. Getting him to return an email is just not going to happen.

We did not do surgery in Minnesota but he can give you his answers for his program.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I'm in MN too but can't say that I know much about surgery residencies other than neurosurgery but we have friends in other specialties at Mayo if I can help you with any of them just let me know.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I just like to hear about everyone's experiences and what kinds of family support systems that different programs have. That is something I am very interested in and if there is not one I would like to start one. I just think it's so important for families to have. Any info or opinions would be great!

Comment

Cheri has enthusiastically endorsed the Mayo for their support of the surgical family.

I, um, can not offer that same endorsement for our program.

Kelly

Comment

Mayo has a great support system. There is a group called the Mayo Family Connection, each year new resident or medical student wives are paired with an existing spouse to answer questions, buddy around with, help get settled, etc. There is also a book club, boy's club, gorumet club, scrapbooking club, crafts club, cards club, etc. Always something going on for spouses.

I also find that we socialize more with our program then others.

After residency Mayo's support continues with the Friendship circle, this is for new Mayo staff wives for the first five years. After five years they join the Alice Mayo Society.

Comment

That is exactly what I was looking for as far as a program. I am involved in the AMA Alliance but it's more for wives who's husbands have been out for many years and no one works. In anyone's experience do most resident spouses work? Can you make it not working with a kid? Just curious!

Comment

Originally posted by lady0880
                        That is exactly what I was looking for as far as a program. I am involved in the AMA Alliance but it's more for wives who's husbands have been out for many years and no one works. In anyone's experience do most resident spouses work? Can you make it not working with a kid? Just curious!
                        I think it depends on the specialty of the spouse, and what type of job the non-resident spouse works. Personally, I could have never continued working because my previous jobs all required at least occasional travel. Who is going to pick the kid up from daycare at 5:30 when I am away? Certainly not DH! I do have some friends who are teachers/nurses, and their more predictable hours allow them to continue working. I also have one friend who is an attorney, and she does pretty well money-wise, so they have an in-home sitter who is willing to accomodate their hours. Her DH is not in a surgical specialty though, and has pretty normal working hours himself.
                        Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Here I would estimate 75% of the resident spouses don't work and have children - most own moderatly priced homes $140-$170K as well. I am in the minority being a working, no-child, spouse and when I have a child I will be in an even smaller minority of working with a child. Of course Mayo pays well for the cost of living here, it can be done. I could stay home if we didn't have our mortgage and two car payments. Just the mortgage we could handle on one income.

Mayo pays better than DH would have been paid at UCSF or Stanford.

Comment

Working...
                          X