Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vishenka or Cristina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vishenka or Cristina

Did you all grow up with Pelmeni? or is it a Siberian regional food? I've been craving those yummy little pastas since we got back from Russia and I think I'm going to try to find some for the holidays. Any good sources for Russian or EE foods? I found one online but I'm hoping that those of you 'in the know' might have better sources. There's no EE grocery in San Antonio the closest is in Austin.

Jenn

Pel'meni are often called Siberian because they originated there (brought over from China actually). I've never tried ordering them by mail as they have to be frozen. There are some Russian online food stores that are based in NY but I'll look if there are any closer to you. If you can tell me how to send them (and not melt in the process) I can do that too.

Comment

Update: I didn't find anyone who would even ship them to TX (most ship only non-perishables). And you're right, the closes Russian community is in Austin. Do you want a recipe?

Comment

Nah-

I found a place in Forida that says that they'll ship the firozen stuff- OR since there's a new IKEA outside of Austin, maybe I have to do a day out.

Thanks for checking. I can't tell you how much I'm craving these things. I ate them at least four times when I was there.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
          If you can tell me how to send them (and not melt in the process) I can do that too.
          Dry ice. Ben & Jerry's used to overnight ice cream before the stores were everywhere. Would not be cheap, tho.

Comment

This looks interesting. I'd never heard of pelmeni until now but I think I may have to try them one day.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Jenn let me know if Austin doesn't work out and then we'll try to ship. Don't know if you've ever bought them over here but there are two main companies. One makes round pel'meni and the other look more like large tortellinis. Go with the tortellinis. They're a bit more expensive ($1-2) but much better quality. I also prefer chicken over Siberia. Siberian tend to have mystery meat in them. Don't forget to get some dill to sprinkle on top.

Comment

I'm drooling already...

I almost bought a mold to make my own. Maybe I'll go that route if I get desperate. http://www.russianfoods.com has some seriously yummy looking stuff, too.

Jenn

For those who haven't had the joy, imagine tasty morsels of meat in a pastry topped with sour cream and/or butter and a sprinkle of dill. Sometimes they topped it with a broth and then the sour cream and dill.
                Yum-my.

Comment

How weird is this? I'm getting the car filled up and look across the street at the "Euro-Deli" and see listed on the wall Siberian Pelmini. Is it like a piroshki (sp)? I'm thinking I might have to check it out.

Jenn, over your dill aversion? Weren't you sick of dill after returning from Russia?

Comment

They're smaller more on the tortellini size. and yes, I'm over the dill thing.

I'm soooo jealous. Try it out and report back.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                    X