Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Question about green cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about green cards

For any of you that have been through the Green Card process...
    If you apply from within the US, do you need to get a medical and a criminal record check?

I'm applying as a spouse of a US citizen from outside the country. The medical is going to cost about $400 which seems like a lot. The criminal record check will also be a pain as I have lived in the UK, Canada and Ireland. I have nothing to hide, just want someone to reassure me that it would be the same applying from inside the country and I am not making it extra complicated from applying from here!
    Thanks

Although I was only 13 when we applied, I don't remember any sort of medical or criminal check. We also have friends whose spouses applied (as spouse of a citizen) but from inside the US and didn't have to do any costly checks. May be it's only when you apply from outside.

Comment

My husband applied for a green card and he did have to do a medical check-up. They tested him for STDs. I don't know about the criminal background check, they do these for Visas, but I am not sure about green cards.

Comment

I just came as a spouse of and American citizen from Australia six months ago. It worked best for us to do everything in Australia. While some of the upfront costs and hassles are kind of expensive and annoying, my understanding is that it is much the same if you do it in the US. For us it was considerably faster than doing it inside the US as well.

Comment

We did all of Nikolai's applications through the American Embassy in Russia. He recieved automatic citizenship as the minor child of American citizens. I have two acquaintances- one Thai, one Italian who said that the entire process took a year.

Jenn

Comment

Re: Question about green cards

Originally posted by bugs
            For any of you that have been through the Green Card process...
            If you apply from within the US, do you need to get a medical and a criminal record check?
            Yep, you have to do both even if you are living and applying in the US.

Comment

Thanks guys, seems like the majority opinion is that its the same kind of deal. That makes me feel better!

Comment

yeap you need both, i think visa screen cert does your criminal record check for you. check out the US embassy in Ireland website they have loads of info on application for green card there.

Comment

Working...
                X