Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Does a Military Residency Increase Payback time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Military Residency Increase Payback time?

I read somewhere that residents accrue additional payback time if they do a military residency. It had something to do with their residency counting toward their payback for med school but also adding on one year for each year of residency. (i.e. Someone with a four year med school committment and a four year residency would break even.)

Is it true that a military resident accrues time? DH currently owes only three years since he joined as a MSII, but he wants to do a four year-long path residency, so it sounds like he'll actually owe four years if he does a military residency. Is this the case? I asked him, and he's not sure!

Also, any idea how likely it is that the AF will grant him a civilian deferment if he requests one?

I am pretty sure that you will only have to pay back 3 years but I would check the SDN. There is a lot of saved discussions about this stuff. You can search through and find what you need. If I see it when I am on there I will let you know. I don't know about the AF but the army does give civilian deferments but I think it is pretty random amd changes from year to year. My DH and his friend both got deferments and DIDN'T request one ( aka, no residency lined up because they were both told they were in for sure) but I think it is really hard to predict. Hope that helps. I would be prepared for anything and be happily surprised if it is what you want!

Comment

You don't accrue additional time, you don't start the payback until you're done with training. You CAN accrue additional time if you take a military sponsored fellowship.

For example, we owe seven years because my husband went to USUHS. He did a three year peds residency and three years of neurology fellowship so we didn't start the payback until the six training years were done.

We have a friend who applied and was accepted twice in a row for a civilian neonatalogy fellowship. However, for both of those years, the AF didn't sponsor the fellowship (which would have meant that she accrued more time owed) and they didn't want to accrue any monetary debt. While this was going on, she worked as a general pediatrician and paid back two of her four years owed. The she applied the last year and was accepted into the military fellowship and is accruing time owed.

It is 100% based on the needs of the military at the time. (and that is 100% unpredictable.)

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for the answers! What I read about the payback during residency didn't make sense. On the other hand, this is the gov't we're dealing with...!

Anyway, I am glad to know that all DH owes is three years, regardless of his residency.

Thanks again!

Comment

To complicate matters further, we have some friends who worked as GMOs (General medical officers) straight out of medical school and then one got out and did his residency as a civilian and one did a mlitary residency (thereby requiring a payback)

There are so many possible combinations that it does no good to worry.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
          X