Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

reserves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserves

anyone have experience joining while in residency? The benefits seem unreal but the payback... I don't know what to think. It is a big time huge commitment.

We are not actively investigating... a recruiter came in to see everyone in the program and dh mentioned it.
    :anyolne:
    Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
    ~~~~~
    SAHM to 3

Re: reserves

Sure, tell him it's great idea! He can deploy annually for minimum 4 months w/ the Air Force or biannually for 6-12 months w/ the Army or Navy.

Don't buy the one weekend a month routine for the Reserves. Even if he doesn't deploy overseas, they're often brought in to backfill for those that have deployed. I have an acquaintance who was brought to San Antonio as a mental health case worker for a year.

Jenn

Comment

I will say that since he's an ortho doc the military would especially love him. And ortho docs get *great* experience, for obvious reasons. And they do surgery at Walter Reed 7 days a week.

They need more docs, no doubt, but it's not for everyone.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

to the whole, think-this-one-through-all-the-worst-case-scenarios-that-you-can-imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
          Sure, tell him it's great idea! He can deploy annually for minimum 4 months w/ the Air Force or biannually for 6-12 months w/ the Army or Navy.

Don't buy the one weekend a month routine for the Reserves. Even if he doesn't deploy overseas, they're often brought in to backfill for those that have deployed. I have an acquaintance who was brought to San Antonio as a mental health case worker for a year.

Jenn

If he goes the radiology route in the Air Force change that to 12 month deployment. The AF is now "lending" their radiologists to the Army for no less than 12 month deployments - already in place with people shipping out (or just shipped out). The days of 4 month deployments in the Air Force are at an end for rads - and possibly other specialties soon as well.
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

So there is no such thing as a max 90 day deployment once every two years??
            ~~~~~
            SAHM to 3

Comment

So there is no such thing as a max 90 day deployment once every two years??
              Sure...when we're not "at war" in two different locations. For an orthopod- I'd expect a one year deployment to either Balad in Iraq or a backfill for Germany.

max 90 day deployment....what is that recruiter smoking?

Jenn

PS- If he's not speaking to someone attached to the medical department of the specific service then they're talking out their asses. and if he were assigned to a 'regular' (read combat) unit then you're more than guaranteed a deployment. Sorry we're all seeming to be so sarcastic but seriously, the recruiters don't know diddly about the Medical side of the military.

Comment

Thanks for the honesty ...... I figured it would be more of a commitment than we are interested in.
                ~~~~~
                SAHM to 3

Comment

Working...
                X