Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Aloha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha

Hey there,

My husband is a 2nd year surgery resident at Tripler Army Med. Center here in Hawaii. This is our 5th year of marriage and active duty but our first in the Army, he transferred in from the Navy.

Please note that before you start reading this that I am extremely overtired and have PMS so if I sound like a negative Nancy, well, right now, I AM.

These 5 short years have included the following:
    1 year of internship at Portsmouth Medical Center
    1 year of an unaccompanied tour in Japan, where I stayed in Ohio (he was a Marine Battalion Surgeon on a GMO tour).
    1.5 years of GMO-ing at Newport Ambulatory Care Center doing family practice.
    15 months in a combat zone in Afghanistan.

So here we are in "paradise" thousands of miles away from friends, family and familiar looking food getting ready to celebrate our first Christmas together since..well, I know there has been ONE in the past five years but I can't swear which it was! For the first time since getting married, I admit it: I'M LONELY and this lifestyle is starting to get old...but we have 4.5 more years of residency (1 of those is a research year), probably a fellowship after that and well...you know the list goes on. And on. And on. And ON.
    All that being said: I love my husband...but right now I kind of effing hate his JOB!!!!
    I feel better now.
    Have a merry christmas and for listening.

Re: Aloha

Welcome, I think that you will meet many a kindred spirit here!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome! I almost wrote welcome aboard but I figured that would be exceptionally annoying.

I feel your pain. 15 month deployment? man, that must have sucked arse. I was a basket case after 7.

There are lots of us military spouses here- some in training, some done. FairQueen's husband is about to deploy for his second go-round.

My husband is a USUHS grad, then San Antonio for peds residency then Walter Reed for Child Neurology and now back in San Antonio for attendinghood (although he was deployed most of year one of attendinghood). Rumor has it that there's an CN opening at Tripler and I'm so hoping that the newly graduated guy gets it. We've moved 7 times in our 7 years of marriage so I'd really like a year with no moving, no deployments, no nothing (except his oral boards in June- yay...)

Anyway, trust me, this is the place when you feel like Debbie Downer. and when you're jumping for joy for that matter!

Jenn

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the replies!

Annie/Ladybug: Yes--love Wicked, book and musical.

DCJenn: My husband just did a month long rotation at the Burn unit there at San Antonio (in Oct.) and really liked it. Hawaii is not so bad, but well, I am an unashamed Midwesterner and right now all the hula-dancing, lei-wearing, beach-going 24/7 is getting on my last nerve. You have me beat with 7 moves in 7 years! When he was offered Tripler, with no deploying for 5 years I was like YES. The one good thing about surgical residency....

Anyway--I am REALLY glad to have found you all. And my real name is Amy.

Comment

Welcome Amy - can't relate on the military front but I get the long residency thing. DH still has 3 1/2 to go, 3 1/2 done and a 12-18 month fellowship after that.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Welcome Amy! Negative Nancy's are welcomed with open arms!

Comment

Amy, welcome and glad you found us. All negative vibes welcome here, we are really good at negative!!! Oh yeah, we are also good at positive. Welcome.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

My DH is Navy, but still in civilian deferment for residency. Stick around here -- it's helpful to know that there are others out there who "get" your situation.
                Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Welcome! I, for one, am never negative. I love residency.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

:hey:

Welcome Amy!

We are finished with training but the medical life still is no bowl of cherries. So, negativity is always welcomed here. :>
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

My DH is in the ARMY at Walter Reed. He is in his surgical intern year. He knows some staff out at TAMC- we went there for a visit last summer (2006). It *is* beautiful but I totally get you with the hulas and leis, etc., etc.

Anyway, welcome! Post often!

(And don't be surprised if come February you get nothing but if you complain about the boring beach-ready weather! just kidding of course... Everyone here is very nice.)
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Welcome!

How ironic, I'm AttheBeach (in that happy place in my mind anyway - give me 2.5- 4.5 more years ) but really I'm in freezing, snowy Ohio...and you are really at the beach but missing freezing, snowy Ohio.

Comment

Glad you found us! Don't worry we're all very good at being negetive! Post often knowing you're in good company!
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                          X