Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

IMG's allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMG's allowed?

Hi all!

I'm asking for a friend. Does anyone know if IMG graduates are allowed to apply to military residency programs? This would be for a US citizen. Thanks for any info.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Re: IMG's allowed?

I have no idea. I don't know of any FMGs but that doesn't mean anything.

I'll ask.

Jenn

Comment

I think so. I think DH had a co-worker for a short time at Sheppard that was an IMG. I will check with him to make sure.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for asking ladies! I'm so clueless in this area. Would it be safe to say that military residencies are difficult to get? If so, I'm sure they would want to take US grads first before IMGs. Anyways... still just thinking about it.

Comment

military residencies are a complicated subject because so much of it is specialty specific and service specific.

Each of the three services (the Navy does the healthcare for the Marines) selects and pays for training of their people slightly differently.

That said, the preference is USUHS grads, then HPSP grads, then FAP grads. I would imagine that if the FMG was interested in a speciality that is desperately needed (i.e. ortho or neuro surgeons) they may get a military residency before someone who wants to do something like Peds.

Jenn

Comment

Usually Ortho is off the table. It's super competetive-- but less so than the civilian match. Last year most spots were filled with HPSP-- only 4 went to USU grads. It is always tough to get...

I think if they are going in as an IMG, assuming they're allowed, they'd maybe have to do a GMO or something first, and then go after the specialty they want. I just think it would be very hard to get the rotations in at the military sites this fall to be competetive for any program.

:huh:

My DH isn't sure about it at all... He says to contact administrative types somewhere to see what the rules are about IMGs...
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

The "if they're allowed" thing is the bigger point. I searched military.com, the usuhs website, the army.mil website and came up with nada.

Jenn

Comment

ITA Jenn! And then of course if you ask one administrative type who *should* know, you just may get a completely different response from a different administrative type...
                Peggy

Comment

Thank you!

I'm not surprised, really. (although you don't have to be a citizen to serve in other capacities.)

Jenn

Comment

Awesome. Thanks Julia!

You *must* have been bored at work!
                    Peggy

Comment

I wanted to say thanks again for looking into this for me!! Again, it was for us, but for someone that was asking. I really wondered about it! I guess they can be super selective with so few spots.

Comment

Working...
                      X