Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

remember?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remember?

....the story I told a while back about my cousin who was a bit um, flip about "the match?"
    He didn't want an interview at a top program because it was "too cold there?"

Well he did the military match and was JUST told that at the end of this year (his intern year) he would be REQUIRED to serve as a UMO (Underwater Medical officer) for THREE years. At the end of three years, he would be allowed to continue his residency as an R2 (out of 5 years).

WOW. Major suckage.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: remember?

That bites!
    Kris

Comment

Wow, not really sure what to say to that but wow.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Underwater Medical Officer? I've never heard of that. What is that? I mean, it probably is what it sounds like but can they do that?
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

karma, man. It's a bitch.

Actually, we know a few people who got yanked during training. One guy was sent to Japan as a GMO. (general medical officer) and ended up not doing his residency until he got out of the Air Force.

Sucks for him, that's for sure.

Jenn

and according to my beloved, a UMO is exactly what it sounds like- works on the submarines, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK
            I mean, it probably is what it sounds like but can they do that?
            If you sign up with the military for the stipend during med school or training, they can do ANYTHING they want with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
              Originally posted by MrsK
              I mean, it probably is what it sounds like but can they do that?
              If you sign up with the military for the stipend during med school or training, they can do ANYTHING they want with you.
              I know that. I was just wondering if they can pratice medicine underwater. I was picturing a guy doing surgery in a scuba suit. It sounded like "underwater backetweaving" or something of the sort.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

They're the docs assigned to the underwater crews. When you're at sea for six months at a time, they need to have medical personnel available. Appendicitis won't wait for shore call!

Jenn

Comment

And this is why we turned down the AF scholarship. We had heard that they told someone the year before that they flat out could not do ortho after they matched. Our friend who is doing EM in SD just shipped out for 6-9 months. At least my friend is near family while he is gone and she has the 3 kids sans husband. I really really give it up to you military families. It is such hard work. My parent's didn't survive the military marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
                    We had heard that they told someone the year before that they flat out could not do ortho after they matched.
                    At least you heard that ahead of time, instead of the people who get promised the flexibility to do anything and then .... don't get anywhere near that.

Comment

Ah, well. The ONE thing we all get is flexibility. As in we all better be flexible.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                        Ah, well. The ONE thing we all get is flexibility. As in we all better be flexible.

Jenn
                        Flexible is your middle name...that or expert mover.

Comment

No sh*t. Someday (after I do a military overseas move which has it own set of crap) I will write the How to do a military move with one one unintended death book.

J.

Comment

Working...
                          X