Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Transition from HPSP pay to Residency pay? VA Loans for residents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from HPSP pay to Residency pay? VA Loans for residents?

Would one of you kind ladies please educate me on how this works? We find out in 19 days where he matched for Army ER and I am clueless how the whole transition takes place. He finishes his 4th year rotations mid-April, so we are planning to move then. Graduation is in May. After reading the HPSP handbook it appears that they stop receiving their semi-monthly regular pay at graduation. If residency starts in July will we have to wait that long to start receiving pay again?

Are residents eligible for VA loans?

When do military physicians start receiving special pay?

I have so many questions and am starting to get frantic as match day approaches.
    Living the Life of Intern Year...

I have no idea about HPSP pay- we had a seamless transition from USUHS. They're paid the 15th and the last day of the month. All members of the military are able to use VA loans, residency has nothing to do with it. There are a ton of special pays- one they get after graduation I think- it's one of the monthly ones. Specialty Pay based on the actual specialty doesn't start until after residency is finished. There's also one that you get for being a military doc and one that they get once they're Board certified. If you go to military.com they have a excellent chart of all of the specialty pays and how they work.

J.

Comment

Thanks Jenn As far as the VA Loans go do medical officers have to wait until they have been on active duty for 180 days? I know that is the standard, but I found some information online (not sure how valid) that said medical officers may be different. Residency is three years for ER. In your opinion is it wise to purchase or rent? We are thinking he will match at #1 Madigan (they LOVED him!!!) Will the military buy out your house if you get orders to move during payback? Sorry if this is too much LOL I disappeared from the boards for a while during rotations and as the reality of residency is starting to set in I am having a bit of a freak out moment! Good and Bad though REALLY looking forward to all that is to come....

Comment

Sorry, don't know anything about military stuff, but if he gets in at Madigan, have him find out how soon they're going to re-open that EM residency to civilians; would *love* to move back to Seattle, and DH will be applying next year.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

poky I will make sure to do that He was told that ER and Surgery are the most competitive this year. So I don't know if they will open it up to civilans, not sure how they decide on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not a matter of them deciding or numbers of spots, as I understand it; it was un-accredited for civilians several years back. DH talked to someone at a disaster medicine conference last year who said she's working on getting it re-accredited, but she wasn't sure if it'd be in time for DH to apply during his last year.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

In my opinion, having spent the last 4 years saddled with a house 1500 miles away from me, renting is a pretty good option. Especially during residency because 9/10 times you will leave where you do the residency and go someplace else. and no, the military does not give a rat's ass if you're saddled with a house when they tell you to move. I told my husband that if he's sent anywhere else, we're keeping this house and renting at the other place. I will never again deal w/ being stuck with two houses.

I'd wait and use the VA benefit after residency. There are always tons of rentals in military areas because of situations like mine.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
              X