Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Navy docs save man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy docs save man

Did anyone see this story of the two Navy docs that saved a man's life on a flight from San Diego to San Antonio?? Amazing!!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz1nt9KoCpr
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Cool!

J.

PS- San Antonio has the majority of military medical training these days. Everyone ends up coming here for something!

Comment

If I remember right less than 10% of people that get CPR make it. This guy was so lucky to have two doctors, a nurse, and his wife to help him in flight!!
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

My dad once got roped into holding a mini clinic during a long flight lol. A passenger got very sick, really bad sinus infection was the dx. Then other ppl kept coming forward with their symptoms. The flight attendants gave them vouchers for all sorts of free food lol.

Docs are typically hesitant to raise their hands when they say "is there a doctor on the flight?" but I'm glad that these guys were there and stepped up!!!

Strong work. I wish they had a picture of the white hook. Dh is kind of curious about what that was...
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Whenever I purchase a plane ticket for DH, I always use the "Dr" address in his name. That way, the purser or whoever can check the manifest to find a doc without having to call on the intercom for one...

Comment

GMW most docs intentionally do not use Dr on tickets for the same reason!!! Emergencies are one thing, but aero clinics. Ugh.

And then you have the whole I'm not a cardiologist or I'm not en ER doc etc etc. My dh is a surgeon but doesn't want anything to do with assessing belly pain, etc etc.

Peggy

Comment

Haha we put "Dr" on his ticket in hopes of getting upgraded more easily. Okay, so that's why I do it...he would actually be willing to help in an emergency. I actually have to beg him to not pull over every time we see an accident. Haha
              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

How does liability work for these situations? I know some states have laws protecting citizens (good Samaritan)... but medical malpractice is different. I really don't know... anyone knowledgeable on this?
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

DH also does NOT want his title on tickets because if he's the only one he's happy to help but most cases don't need a neurosurgeon. I wish I had been with him when he helped in November, I would have liked to see him in action. He and a nurse responded and it was a minor situation but they still gave him a $150 credit towards a future flight, that was on Delta.

I'm pretty sure good samaritan laws would cover you as long as you didn't misrepresent yourself or your skill set.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We've always half joked that I am way more useful in an emergency than Russ is. "which is better 1 or 2?". He he. I know he does more than that, but he is seriously limited in his practice of medicine without a slit lamp and a dark room. And if I'm remembering correctly, my license to practice veterinary medicine does extend to people in times of serious need. I think it means natural disasters and probably war-type disasters. But if I could help I would.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

DH has helped more times than I'd like to think about, but some of that was as a medic, before training. Often people over medicate or drink because they're nervous and then freak out that they've poisoned themselves. The one time DH had to actively perform CPR while people were trying to deplane, an OB also stepped up to help when called, and was SO happy DH was there. We don't list MD on his ticket. According to my knowledge (I do have a degree in health policy) as well as the lawyers at DHs company, a doc is covered under good Samaritan. The time he did perform CPR, they got the woman back, and his thanks came in the mail a few weeks later...in the form of Mc Donald's gift certificates. Not kidding. Now that DH is out of training, I don't think he'd accept anything(other than an airline voucher which could be explained as coming for a million other reasons) it could be mistaken as payment and then Good Sam won't apply. I also would be shocked if he would identify himself for an interview - he really views it as his duty because he does know how to help, even more because he was a paramedic. all that said, I kind of dread traveling with him because other peoples' needs often change our plans. When we go to conferences, I now book our airline tix with at least one other medical couple.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                        his thanks came in the mail a few weeks later...in the form of Mc Donald's gift certificates. Not kidding.
                        Wow... LOL!
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yep - and that was from the airline (American btw).
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                            Yep - and that was from the airline (American btw).
                            That might be the most ridiculous thing ever.
                            Peggy

Comment

OMG. that's ridiculous.

On our last flight there was the 'is there a doctor on board' call and there ended up being a highly enthusiastic resident, an APN and another RN.

Rick let the highly enthusiastic resident handle it- it was a teenaged kid having a panic attack.

J.

Comment

Working...
                              X