Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Guam, Okinawa, the Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guam, Okinawa, the Pacific

Has anyone lived in Guam, Okinawa or anywhere in Japan? It looks like that is where we will be going on July. I am excited about moving, but I would like a little information about living in Guam and Japan.

Wow! I am so jealous- I would love to go to Japan. (not a chance- the closest we'll be able to get is Hawaii and I really do NOT want to go to Hawaii for three years.)

Anyway- hopefully some of our lurkers will come forward, I don't think any of us active military spouses have been sent overseas. (crossing my fingers for Germany on 2006 though!)

I had an acquaintance once who was a Marine from Guam and his parents came over and damn if they didn't make the best meal. They took venison (which I had only ever experienced as shoe leather) boiled it somehow in coconut milk then added this amazing rice. It was an experience.

Jenn

Comment

I have some very good friends who are moving to Guam with the Air Force in March. He is a pilot, not a doctor, but they are great people. If you end up with Guam, I will hook you guys up.

I don't know much about Japan......we almost got sent there after residency, but we ended up dodging that bullet.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I have a friend who married an AF pilot and they are living in Japan right now. They aren't on base, but she says that it's a nice place to live, except the cost of living is really insane, and the traffic is terrible. She takes the train wherever she goes, which is efficient enough, but it's very crowded! Anyway, last I heard she was enjoying Japan, but she is also half Japanese and pretty familiar and comfortable with the culture. I'll try to get in touch with her and see how she is enjoying it after being there for about 3 months now!
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Hi! I lived at Camp Zama during the summer of 1998 as a civilian working for the Army. Everyone there, myself included, loved Japan. Seriously, I house sat for some military lifers and they said that Japan was one of their absolute favorite postings. The country is beautiful and safe and there is a ton to see and do.

When I was there, the Army deployed to Korea, which sucked at the time but now appears strangely appealing in light of all the deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yokuska (sp?) is a beautiful base with all of the amenities. While the cost of living is INSANE, the base is affordable. Also, IMHO, the enlisted struggled a lot more with the local economy than the officer's families. Many spouses are able to earn a lucrative living by teaching English.

You will be able to take trips to Australia, China, Singapore, etc. O.K. now I'm getting jealous. Enjoy!

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
          X