Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

home buying with the military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home buying with the military

well, here is another beauty in the never-ending red tape that seems to be unrolling in front of us....

So, as most of you know we sold our house (well, sortof....that is another post altogether!!) and we are in the middle of getting the stacks and reams of paperwork together for another home loan. We have had a terrible time finding someone in the AF to help us get the information needed- employment contract and compensation. Today, DW gets the number to call the Comptoller's office and get the needed info. Of course she doesn't have her orders on hand to fax to them, but that is Ok. Although, she was told that since she is listed as "inactive reserve" that they MAY NOT give that information out until she is active duty- October 6th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT????? Certainly there have been people who were FAP that got the information needed and had a home before they were active duty in their new base, right??
    She is completely beside herself right now, she got the run around for more than an hour. She had to call at least five different offices and is never spoken to as though she were a competent adult. She is very displeased about this whole process and the coming four years.

So, any advice from anyone other than her threatenings to become lesbian?? (doesn't happen everyday, but today would be one for sure....)

Matt-

first- we bought while active duty. However, my ex and I bought using a VA loan and he was in the Air National Guard- but, again, had been in for like 10 years at that point.

My second thought is- what exactly do you all need? If you need to know her future salary- that's public information and can be located online. Make sure you factor in her future bonuses as well- those are also public information. You know her rank (O-3, in case you didn't) and it's basically a chart with years in and rank.

If the it's the mortgage company that needs the information, make sure that you're using a mortgage company based in florida- near the base. Using a mortgage company that doesn't have experience with the military will be a nightmare!

Tell Gretchen to find her happy place and to ask only for exactly what she wants- don't make small talk and don't bother being nice- they don't care. Pleasant sometimes helps- getting frustrated definitely does not. Make sure that you all get specifics of whatever it is you need. She should have a copy of her contract already- if she doesn't, make sure she gets it ASAP. However, she has her orders, and her current pay stubs so I can't imagine whatelse you guys would need.

Jenn

Comment

Matt....all I can say is ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGH! I can not believe the run-around you guys have gotten on a consistent basis. I wish you lived nearby. I'd insist you come over and have some margaritas and let the kids swim in our little blow-up pool????

Hang in there...and....I'm almost afraid to ask..but what happened with the house???

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Matt-

Rick says to get her "Comparable Worth Statement" which tells stupid people what the military docs would make if they were civilians. It's designed for situations like the one that you're in.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jenn (& Rick!). Well, we are using Bank of America for the mortgage process. It seems to have calmed down some since yesterday and we talked with someone in the FSO that can get the information that we need. So, now we are just waiting on our house to close.....did I mention that there was a problem???

Comment

Working...
          X