Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

military residency vs. civilian residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military residency vs. civilian residency

My husband is a third year med student in the Air Force and he wants to do surgery. Would anyone suggest military or civilian residency over the other and for what reasons.

To be honest, it may not be up to him. The AF will send him where ever they want to. Because my husband went to USUHS, he had no choice. We had several friends from residency to applied to both and got the military residency. Apply to both and hope for whichever you want the most- and don't forget to interview for both places as well.

I think the military residency will help in establishing connections and relationships- which will be important because as a surgeon, I'm guessing he'll owe quite a bit of time once residency is completed. We have been able to find friends and acquaintances from residency throughout the country. (My husband knew Sally's husband because the peds residents were called to deliveries that the OB residents managed)

The civilian residency means that many fewer years dealing with the giant pulsating nightmare that can be the military. there are always screwups, it's a fact of life. Matt's wife did a civilian residency so maybe he can answer some of the plus sides to cilivan life. I honestly can't remember what it's like...

Jenn

Comment

Thanka for your reply. It is our understanding that doing a military residency only adds one year on to the already 4 year commitment. I am not sure if this is accurate or not. We have also been told to try and do a military residency in San Antonio, because the training is good there. Which I really like San An and would not mind going there. That brings me to my second question, is it hard to get a residency spot in San Antonio? Is it more competitive than other military spots? And what could we do to better our chances of going their?
      Lauren

Comment

I think it depends entirely on the needs of the AF, as to whether or not it's easy to get a residency. For example, the peds program (and several others, OB included I think) is a dual Army/Af program. That means the # of residents will be split between the 2. Also, if the AF decides that they don't need X kind of doctor, then that means that there will be no X kind of doctor at all that year. (and they can be a wee bit short-sighted) Can he do a rotation at Wilford Hall to get to know the people there? That will certainly help.

I would make sure to interview at Wilford Hall and make sure to rank it #1. I believe the payback is determined by the length of residency, although again, I don't know since we owe 7 after training which at this point will start at my husband's 12th year of military service. (So, Hooahh, Go Army for the rest of his medical career.)

Jenn

Comment

He has a gen surg rotation scheduled at Wilford Hall in August of 2005. Hopefully he will interview with them when he is there.
          Thanks for the info.

Comment

My wife was part of the "FAP", so basically, we put her through med school and residency, THEN the AF took her. She was commissioned Oct 2001, and was paid through residency- which was a nice supplement.

As far as comparing one from the other, I don't think I could. At this point, the biggest headache is all the OTHER stuff, besides medicine/doctor-ing, that DW has to deal with- paperwork filled out in stacks, taken to four different offices only to be told that it needs to be taken to a different area all together.... sorry, we are having a tough stretch right now....

Non-military is like a whole other world....Sally(mommax3), and especially her DH and their family will love it! Jloreine(Jenn) and her DH will be making beer when they are done.....and I will be waiting with my frosted mug!

Comment

I just found this thread and since your DH appears to be here this month, I thought I'd add my 2 cents. While I'm sure there are good and bad to both forms of residency, I love the military one. It gives you an added community/resources to plug into and the pay is infinitely better (with raises every January). We really haven't struggled financially since residency started and I'm a SAHM with 4 kids. Not that we live a high life-style at all...just better than med school and not knowing if you can pay your bills. It is my understanding that the 4 years owed from Med School is paid back during residency & then residency time is paid back...so it equals the same time either way for your hubby. Example: My DH owed 4 years for med school; his military residency is a 4 year program (after his 1 yr surgical internship, which for some reason doesn't count); so he owes 4 years post training. I believe in a civilian program his payback time wouldn't change either since the military wouldn't be paying for his residency training. My DH is Army ENT stationed at BAMC (San Antonio). It's a split program, however, so he spends half his time at Wilford Hall. Let me know if you need any additional info on San Antonio or if your hubby wants someone to talk to here (my DH is at Wilford Hall at the moment). Good luck!

Sara

Comment

"It is my understanding that the 4 years owed from Med School is paid back during residency & then residency time is paid back...so it equals the same time either way for your hubby."

With the HPSP, after med school, the students enter their residencies. This DOESN'T count as any part of their payback to the armed forces. The payback comes after all subsequent residencies and fellowships are finished.

Comment

Working...
                X