Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Finally...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally...

I post this in hopes that it will truly come to pass-

As many have experienced, the military/civilian combination doesn't work very well, and it particularly doesn't work in regards to ensuring proper pay.

If you will recall with me, the sad, sad saga of my beloved husband attempting to convince a civilian pay employee that he had in fact, been enlisted for 4 years, as well as the National Guard while in college. He has the flippin' Army Good Conduct medal for God's sake. He has his flippin' awards for accurately shooting at stuff with a variety of weapons that I hate. However, the various people with whom he spoke, just couldn't quite figure out that he should be paid O/E pay because he had been enlisted...

Finally, last week, he was double checking the accuracy of his paperwork since he's eligible for the Major Board this year when the Sgt. he was working with said, "Sir, why aren't you being paid O/E pay?" My husband replied something to the effect of "I wish I knew." So she went back to the office and brought out her boss who looked over his paperwork and said, "well, I think we can fix this. Soon."

He met with the personnel officer yesterday and she confirmed that he's due a HUGE back pay check. (Figure that he has been in this time for 12 years from O-1 to O-3.)

I just checked the pay chart and the difference (at least in 2005 dollars) is roughly 200+ bucks per paycheck for his med school years and 250+ for his residency and fellowship years. Basicially from the moment he entered medical school, until he makes Major, he should be paid.

He feels vindicated, that's for sure. I personally just feel happy that we can make up for my lost income from stopping work.

It hasn't happened yet, and I'm sure there will be some other screw-up between now and when this theoretically should take place. But, the moral to the story is don't give up.

Jenn

Sounds like a huge step forward.
    Fingers crossed for a speedy check.

Comment

That is FANTASTIC news! And quite a chunk of change, too! Keep us posted on when you actually get it!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Jenn, that is wonderful news - and perfect timing!

Hoping for the check to arrive soon!

They going to give you interest on that??

Comment

wow! you might actually GET money from the government!!! hooray

chalk one up for the good guys.
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

That's good news that it is finally being fixed. Only problem is that if life were truly fair your husband would also get interest from what he was due over the many years AND the idiots who screwed up his pay so badly would all have been fired.

Oh boy, I'm going to need lessons in grinning and bearing it from you, Jenn!

Jennifer
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

What a great stash for "Stoli's" college fund!....or a really kick-a$$ party before he gets here, should the wheels of bureaucracy squeek that fast.

Comment

Woohooo...Party at Jenn's house!!!!!!

That is great! What a welcomed windfall ... just in time for the arrival of little stoli!
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

This should cover a trip to Russia!!!
                  Luanne
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Update:

Well, of course, this is the Army and nothing ever proceeds as planned.

First, the adoption reimbursement credit offered to ALL military personnel. (available at http://www.nmfa.org) You'd think that we were the only people EVER at Walter Reed to request this. We completed the forms, followed the instructions, submitted the required copies of everything requested (adoption decree, expense reports, birth certificate, etc.) and heard nothing. So, I went to the payroll office in AUGUST, we submitted the request MAY 24, only to find out that apparently our application disappeared into the vortex. Then this idiot at personnel tried to tell me that it was OUR responsibility to file the paperwork. (The directions clearly state that it's theirs and when I questioned her about it, she actually with a straight face told me no, that's not what it meant...) So, finally, in a fit of desperation, I called the DFAS number on the form and actually spoke to a normal, living breathing person. She confirmed that they hadn't rec'd anything from WR and also that it was WR's responsbility to file the forms.

She reviewed our paperwork with me and told me exactly what she needed, we faxed it to her, and we should have the reimbursement within the month. (Because ours is an international adoption everything has to be reviewed by the JAG office, too)

Now, onto the Officer/Enlisted pay situation. We didn't hear anything, the payroll people at WR hadn't heard anything so finally- I called the congressman's office where Rick had been enlisted. I figured that if the military can supply Elvis' records from the 50's and GWB's Guard records from the Vietnam era, they should be able to find my husband records from the early 1990's.

Oh what a difference a member of the Armed Services Committee can make. I spoke with the woman in the office, she asked me to send a letter to the Congressman, and she'd do the rest. Next thing you know, we're getting letters from a Lt. General explaining who was going to be doing the follow-up. They sent us copies of Rick's information from his Guard days, and then JUST called me to tell me that we have three more options for more information and follow-up, including contacting DFAS directly by their office.

So, for all who think that politicians are useless, remember that they are there for a reason and their staff are happy to help!

Jenn

PS- I sent them a picture of Nikolai, since he's the largest expense we've had except the house and we'd love to pay him off with this reimbursement. The woman who we've been working with emailed me to tell me that they've hung the picture on their wall to remind them that not everyone they have to deal with is crabby!!

Comment

WTG Jenn ... and I'm so impressed that you still operated in a way that wouldn't be described as "crabby" after all of that!

I have to say I started reading the post not realizing that it was a ressurection of an earlier one, but when people started to refer to little "Stoli's" arrival, I figured it out.

Comment

Glad all your efforts are finally paying off and the office people are getting their head out of their asses.

Jennifer
                        Needs

Comment

Working...
                        X