Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

As the red tape turns....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As the red tape turns....

So, DW is just loving her time in the military ::
    - as Peds they used to be required to attend high risk deliveries at the local hospitals, something changed and now they don't. Yet they still need the information of the delivery and chart so that the first Ped appointment can move smoothly. The nurse/tech that was in charge of getting those charts of neworns to be seen on base, to the Peds docs is on six weeks of medical leave. The NCOIC somehow stepped on someone's feelings in the local hospital and they got all upset after a chart was sent to DW that had the name WEAVER on the outside of the chart, DW went to do the exam on the kiddo and was asking questions to the mother--one of which was being on methadone during pregnancy-- the mother looks at DW like she just smoke some crack and said no. The information in the chart was for a baby named WEAFER. HIPPA violation, anyone?
    -so this gets reported back to the local hospital...which then upsets the charge nurse that was so helpful in the first place by giving (more than one) charts that were a guessing game....she then says if DW/group can't be thankful for her help, they will only get faxed copies from now on. DW has another appointment with newborn twins- the faxed chart comes to her with a sticky note on the faxed page that nobody removed, and the information that is hand written can't be read on the faxed information. It is not going good this week.
    - DW reports this to her supervisor, an "upper officer". After telling him what has happened, he says 'well, I guess we will have to take what they give us'. She hands him the faxed chart and asks him to tell her what the Doc wrote about the baby- he squints and can't make any of it out. Letting him know that it is unacceptable and that he needs to take care of it- he is the go-between for the base and the hospitals....it hasn't been so far. She has an appointment with the next up the chain of command. Good use of time there.....
    -today, DW went into the residents conference room to hear the "upper officer" give a lecture. The room is filled with residents and all their officers in charge. She is told my the Col of the training that he was sorry they were still filing in, but that they would be ready in a few minutes and she could give her lecture. ?? She wasn't on the schedule to lecture, her "boss" was....he hasn't shown up yet today as he is doing the late clinic (9a-6p). He didn't return any pages, and hasn't called the office, even though the NCOIC and several others are looking for him this morning.

They are everywhere, bosses that suck, can't use their authority to help their "teams", don't belong in the position that they are in, but this is a worthless excuse for a doc. He passed on doing a circ on a kids two weeks ago that DW had to do....usually DW likes to have them done with in two weeks, this kid was older than a month(pain control isn't as good, she says). Things like that....lets just pass the buck, because I want nothing to do with it. Drives DW crazy.
    Speaking of passing the buck....the ER on base saw a kid two days ago that swallowed a dime. It was in the esophagus, the kid could still breath and eat. The ER discharged them to follow up with the Ped clinic the next day. The dime was still there and in the same place the next afternoon. Another doc in the peds group had to spend about four hours getting a tranfer set up, as they can't do whatever procedure was needed to get it out, and taking care of this kid and sent 50 miles away. When it SHOULD HAVE been done the night that it was brought up to the doc on call....any guesses who that was???!!?? Yep, you guessed it, the same group "boss".

Only 40 more months..... that doesn't sound so good but it is better than just starting out......

Thanks for reading this far, if you have....just need to vent out for me, and for DW!!

Ugh, that really sucks. Residency is a PITA enough, without throwing in the military BS. I'm sorry she's had such a hard time of it, hopefully things will start to look up (but I won't hold my breath!!).
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Oh my. You are right to say that there are bosses everywhere that suck but if there was a competition this guy would definitely be in the top picks. Any possibility of a transfer ? We obviously aren't military and I don't know how the politics work (or don't work). Maybe the other military spouses could give some advice. Sally survived somehow!! You have my sympathy. Wish I could offer more.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

yuck, I feel your pain. Just imagine, if they HAD gotten the dime out, how much paperwork it would have been to transfer the $0.10 back to the patient, or worse yet, try to put it back into the budget.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

...or worse yet, try to put it back into the budget.
          Ha! DW is alone expanding the budget in the peds department! She has ordered things that they didn't have for kids....they would just go and get it from the FP clinic, even if it was not the right size or whatever.....

Along with all this- our assigned Dr for DW and I....is a resident that DW has taught through the Peds rotation....? How can that be? Needless to say, TriCare has some changing to do. I swear, if there is a controversy to any situation- me/DW/my family be first in line to rock the boat... if we like or not!

Comment

Matt-

That totally sucks. What you all are experiencing is the downsizing of peds clinics across the board. (Same thing happened to Sally with OB/GYN) As soon as any kind of coordination between civilian and military hospitals is expected- things go all kinds of haywire.

But, this being the military, the upside is that chances are, stupid boss will be sent someplace else. (of course, that hardly ever happens, but it DOES occasionally line up!)

Jenn

Comment

OMG Matt! That is awful!!!

So...how did her imprompt talk go? Truly...I would have choked and said "NO"

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Wow. Like Jenn, I hope the stupid boss gets sent off and is replaced by a less stupid boss.

Comment

Working...
                X