Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

hmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmmm

Army Teaches Troops How to Pick a Spouse
    By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer Sat Feb 4, 7:15 AM ET

WASHINGTON - They are the Pentagon's new "rules of engagement" — the diamond ring kind. U.S. Army chaplains are trying to teach troops how to pick the right spouse, through a program called "How To Avoid Marrying a Jerk."

The matchmaking advice comes as military family life is being stressed by two tough wars. Defense Department records show more than 56,000 in the Army — active, National Guard and Reserve — have divorced since the campaign in Afghanistan started in 2001.

Officials partly blame long and repeated deployments which started after the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and stretched the service thin.

Troops also are coming home with life-altering injuries.

Many come back better people, others worse-off — but either way, very changed from who they were when they wed.

"Being in the military certainly raises the stakes when you choose a mate," said Lt. Col. Peter Frederich, head of family issues in the Pentagon's chaplain office.

The "no jerks" program is also called "P.I.C.K. a Partner," for Premarital Interpersonal Choices and Knowledge.

It advises the marriage-bound to study a partner's F.A.C.E.S. — family background, attitudes, compatibility, experiences in previous relationships and skills they'd bring to the union.

It teaches the lovestruck to pace themselves with a R.A.M. chart — the Relationship Attachment Model — which basically says don't let your sexual involvement exceed your level of commitment or level of knowledge about the other person.

Maj. John Kegley, a chaplain who teaches the program in Monterey, Calif., throws in the "no jerk salute" for fun. One hand at the heart, two-fingers at the brow mean use your heart and brain when choosing.

Though the acronyms and salute make it sound like something the Pentagon would come up with, the program was created by former minister John Van Epp of Ohio, who has a doctorate in psychology and a private counseling practice. He teaches it to Army chaplains, who in turn teach it to troops.

It also is used by social service agencies, prisons, churches and other civilian groups.

Commanders once discouraged troops from starting a family while serving. Thus the old saying: "If the Army wanted you to have a wife, it would have issued you one."

Today, the military supports families more than any other employer, Frederich said.

The Bush administration proposes to spend $5.6 billion in the next budget year for quality-of-life services for troops and their families.

That includes help with child care, education, spouse job hunting, legal assistance, commissaries, relocation counseling — programs on every family issue imaginable — to promote stability, and thus troop readiness.

Such support notwithstanding, "not everybody is cut out" to marry into the military, said Army spokeswoman Martha Rudd.

Some 740,000 people — or a little more than half of all troops in the active-duty armed forces — are married. Of those, some 96,000 had spouses also in uniform in the 2004 budget year, according to Pentagon figures.

The Army hopes the "no jerks" program will help couples decide if they are ready for a long-term commitment and can cope with the unique stresses of military life.

"Settings like military bases are incubators," said Van Epp, of Medina, Ohio. "They try to hatch ... relationships extremely fast," leading to higher divorce rates and more domestic violence.

The program teaches troops not to cave in to the pressure of a ticking clock — like rushing to marry before shipping out for a deployment, or too soon after homecoming.

Last month, Van Epp sent 200 program workbooks to troops in Iraq.

___

On the Net:

Family support programs: http://www.militaryonesource.com

P.I.C.K a Partner http://www.nojerks.com

How about the military try providing a stable life for it's troops so that they don't feel like they are incubating relationships...or I know...not deploying them away from their wives/husbands for unending stretches of time so that divorce is pretty much inevitable.

I have a good one for you. We have friends that were deployed to London...then within a month of arriving (husband, wife, 2 small children) dad was deployed to Iraq. So the wife said "why the heck am I in London? I could have stayed where we were with my support system/friends/etc. Instead, I'm in another COUNTRY without my husband and I'm pissed." Of course she's pissed....That will be one long 6 month deployment.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well, that's the problem, there isn't any stability- you know that! How many times did you all move when you were growing up?

It's not the deployment that's the problem, it's the multiple deployments months apart from each other. It is part of the job description, (one that all too many military medical people seemed to have overlooked- the oh, yeah, we'll pay for your education but you might have to go to war part. You'd think it was actually news to some of them) (and I'm so tired of the female physicians getting pregnant to avoid deployment. and freely admitting it!)

At least they're realizing that having guys handed divorce proceedings as they're leaving their ships or returning to base isn't a good thing.

Actually, too many people use the military as a way to pay for getting knocked up (as with Rick's nephew) and lo and behold, he's out at sea for 6 months and she's cheating on him with another Navy spouse. (male)
      So...maybe it'll at least make them think. (of course we all know how deeply 18 year old guys think.)

J

Comment

Exactly...but what bothers me is that now they want to teach you how to pick a spouse instead of oh...making changes in their policies...good grief.

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I love the part that says if the army wanted you to have a spouse they would've issued you one...

Isn't it in the works now to keep people stationed at one spot for longer? At least in the medical service corps-- I think. A resident told Mac that after finishing residency he'll get assigned somewhere, he can rank but they'll ignore it pretty much and send him wherever they want, and then he'll be there for 3 years, after which time he can sign up to stay in the same spot if he wants with pretty much a guarantee of getting it. The point is that they are thinking it may be better to keep people stationed in one spot for 6 years or more, esp if they are going to be deploying frequently... At least then they keep some of the support system in place.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Nothing to add other than to say that I love the acronyms.

PICK, FACES, etc. Is there a specific acronym-creating position in the armed forces?

Comment

Peggy-

I think that's exactly what is supposed to happen- you go where they need you for residency/fellowship and there's a 'sort of' choice when you're done. Some people choose to homestead (which is why there haven't been any child neurologists sent to Hawaii in forever- there's a very happy group of people there who are in no hurry to leave!) some don't.

The residency rankings are pretty much this:

USUHS gets first choice of residency spots (all military though)
              HPSP then fill all of the remaining residency spots. (military first, then if anyones' leftover they'll either do a civilian match or not match in what they want. (whatever Uncle Sam wants comes first, after all. But hey, 'free' medical education has a price!)
              Fellowships get filled as they are applied for- if there's no money for the fellowship that year, that doesn't mean that you can do it, it just means that the military won't pay for it and it doesn't count toward payback.
              I have known exactly two people who did a fellowship in the civilian world that the military paid for. (residency is different, I know of several people who have done those)

Part of the push to close the smaller bases and move people to the bigger ones is that there is a better and more organized support system at the larger bases.

We'll see.

Jenn

Comment

Isn't it in the works now to keep people stationed at one spot for longer? At least in the medical service corps--
                That is what has been heard around our area too. The military is turning over so many physicians after their time is up (meaning-3,4,6yrs commitment..whatever) because they were shuffling everyone around so frequently. They are going to try and make it a five year swing, instead of the now eligible in two and move in three type set up they seem to have going. A positive change for retention sake.

Comment

Working...
                X