Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome

Hi all-

Chances are, if you're reading this- you're not only a medical spouse, you're a military medical spouse. I thought it might be helpful to have a place to share our unique experiences.

Chances are at least some of us have been where you are, have been where you're going, or are going where you are!! It's a small world and we need to support each other in this odd but fun world.

My bio- I'm Jenn, I'm married to a peds resident (Army) and we're here in San Antonio. We've been married for a year and some months and he attended USUHS- we met in the DC area.

Hope to learn more from those who have been in and help those who are new to either the medical world or the military world!

Take Care,

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

My fiance is going into family practice. Right now, the Air Force is paying for medical school. When he was in training, we both visited San Antonio. There are so many bases there! All in all, it was a lot of fun!

I look forward to getting to know you!

- Rachel

Comment

I'm not a military spouse..but I grew up in the military (read: military brat ). I just wanted to wish you good luck with your forum, Jenn. I will be lurking here regularly!

Kris

Comment

Hi Jenn,

Question for you...How did your husband land the military residency? My fiance is currently in his last year of medical school and applying to residencies...The Air Force is paying for school right now...I was thinking a miliary residency would be cool b/c they pay for things like a "house" and also basic stuff...My fiance says it's hard and the areas are limited...He's planning to go Family Practice and the places where they have FP residencies on the bases are in Ohio, San Francisco, and Miami...Do you have any insight on this?

Thanks for all your help,

Rachel

Comment

hi jenn & rachel!

i am also a military medical spouse - although i practice a serious case of denial! we never discuss the military obligations - really healthy, i know! my husband is in general surgery - 3rd year resident. the air force kindly foot the bill for med school.

i have a question that is quite related to my issues of denial - is there absolutely any way that one can get out of paying the air force back with time? can you just write them a check and/or pay it back in the reserves? it makes me so sad. i just want to move back to our homestate and live near our families and friends - the thought of being somewhere else (surely far away) for another 4 years makes me miserable.

rachel - i've heard mixed opinions on military residencies. i've heard some people say that the perks such as a house are worth it - i've heard others say that a civilian residency is better looked upon by future employers and give "better" training. this might just be for surgery - i can't remember - now that i think about it, it might be b/c obviously the number of cases that float through a military base on any given day are not near the number in a large city.

Comment

Hi Claudia!

I guess there are more military spouses here than I expected. To answer your question about getting out of obligation, one of my fiance's classmates was in a similar program but it was for the Army. He had to go through training (this was about 2 years ago) but he didn't like it so he dropped out. Now, he will have to pay back the military for those two years they paid for med school plus interest. I think your concerns for better training for your husband are good b/c of the type of program he's entering. As for my fiance, he's not really that concerned with the training. He's decided to go into Family Practice but after residency we'll have to pay back the military by working. I'm actually looking forward to it b/c I would like to go to another country while we are still young. In my situation, I've kind of planned things out. Where do you plan to go for residency?

I look forward to getting to know you...

- Rachel

Comment

I am also a military medical spouse, AND I have an answer for your question, Claudia. "is there absolutely any way that one can get out of paying the air force back with time? can you just write them a check and/or pay it back in the reserves?" There are a few (very few) ways to get out of serving a military obligation. One is for medical reasons (ie medical discharge). Another is if your spouse is passed over for promotion twice. Apparently this is often done in the medical officer corps and it has led to problems with retention in that droves of physicians get out early because they can almost count on being passed over twice in a row. The Air Force at least is cracking down on this phenomenon. Last year they sent my husband a form he HAD to sign that waived this "right" all other military officers maintain! As far as just being able to write a check, if you read the contract your husband signed (when he was commissioned and officially got the scholarship) it may be similar to my husband's: ie the military MIGHT accept the money OR they have the option of just throwing the medical officer into a GMO (general medical officer) type situation (in other words the military can decide if they'll even accept the payoff - and if they don't you might be in a worse situation than you were before). The bottom line? There's a huge amount of freedom in career choices that you give up in exchange for the substantial financial support you receive. Sorry to be a bummer. On the other hand, if your husband suddenly develops a hearing problem or develops diabetes he can get out on medical discharge (not that you necessarily WANT those medical problems).

Jennifer
              Jennifer[i]
              MD/DO
              Spouses Support

Comment

Hello again-

Sorry for the absence- had my friend from 6th grade here so, needless to say, the computer wasn't even on!

From my experience, the military lifestyle definitely isn't for everyone. I love it. But we are significantly older than the rest of the interns and residents (and my husband is 6 months older than his training officer) and I really think that helped.

Anyway, we're lifers (as I've mentioned) because he was prior service and owes 7 to the Army (thank you Uncle Sam for the education!). So- the 4 enlisted years and the 4 USUHS years plus the 7 owed- might as well make a career out of it. Like they say, the docs who stay in are either bad doctors or owe a lot of time!

I do think there is a serious lack of preparation for the spouses, particularly you guys who did HPSP for medical school. Part of the reason why I thought we needed this forum is that only we know that added fun of having your spouse sent to other bases/posts, not knowing where you'll end up next, if your spouse will be getting a military or civilian residency or fellowship, etc.

But- there are serious pluses, too. The USUHS people earn a full 2 Lt. salary during medical school and don't owe anything but time at the end. (which is why no one even thinks about paying back with anything except time!) The HPSP people earn a stipend and don't owe anything but time. We were moved for free, the docs are better paid than their military peers and lets not forget the bonus' to stay in. Add to the the deductions for uniforms, the bonus pay to live off base or off post, and shopping at the PX/Commissary- and it's not that bad.

And, in all seriousness, I haven't heard of any of the docs having a problem finding a job after the time is up. Iwish more would stay in, but I can understand why so many get out. Particularly for those career paths that pay so much more on the civilian side.

One of the Colonel's wives was asking about spouse 'prep' to help at the beginning of the residency. I think it's a great idea. I tried joining the auxiliary but I don't have kids and I work full-time. Every single meeting was during the day. (Hellllloooooo????) I have actually met more spouses in my jogging/walking group. So- I have no solutions, but that's what we're all here for- right!

Glad to see there are so many of us!

Jenn

PS Where are the Navy spouses?

Comment

Hi! I'm also a military (Army) medical student spouse. Jenn, my husband is currently attending USUHS. I'm also an Army brat so the military life style is not new and foreign to me. Once my husband graduates, we are hoping to move to Ft. Lewis in Washington State.

Comment

We wanted Ft. Lewis or Tripler Hawaii) but San Antonio wanted him. So, here we are. I would love to get overseas but am pretty sure now is not the time for this! We have another year and a half in residency and then I figure he'll definitely see some sction. Oh well, he used to jump out of airplanes.

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep us posted.

Jenn

Comment

Hi,

My husband just finished an active duty OB/GYN residency in San Antonio. We wanted a civilian residency and didn't apply or interview with any military programs, but the Air Force wanted my husband in their program, so to Texas we went! In hindsight, I am very glad we did. As others have mentioned, the pay was much better than he would have gotten as a civilian, not to mention that San Antonio is an incredibly cheap place to live, with lots to do. Just a note -- someone had mentioned that there might not be as much experience in a military hospital for a surgery resident -- I can only speak for OB/GYN, but most military medical centers that have residencies are referral centers and serve a huge area as far as active duty military and their dependents are concerned. My husband saw some very rare things and treated patients from all over Texas, as well as from as far away as KS. His learning experience could not have been better, although the residency itself was pretty tough as far as call, etc. We are active duty now at a small base in northern TX (which was definitely not our first choice!) but things are going well and my husband gets to do all deliveries at the civilian hospital, which he loves! They are short one person in the dept. right now, and with only two of them, my husband has not been able to take any leave, which stinks since I just had a baby, but a third person should arrive in November, and then I think life will be pretty nice.
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I completely agree that the large medical centers see some amazing kinds of things. I know for Peds, my husband has seen kids with conditions that are so rare or unique which is incredibly valuable. I have worked in the field of developmental disabilities my entire career and they have kids with some syndromes that I have seen once or twice in 14 years! The area that the San Antonio medical centers serve is HUGE- Oklahoma, all of Texas, etc. When he was in Hawaii- they had a child in from Guam. I know that the OB department rocks, too. For those on the research side of things- that's pretty amazing, too. A lot of techniques and medications are developed in the military medical system- no grants required!

So, like we've said- it's not for everyone but there are definite pluses!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                        X