Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Refocus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refocus!

OK- enough with the worry and stress. As we all know, there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do about the current situation and resulting possibilities for active duty. So....

Let's discuss something positive about the military medical situation.

Think of one thing that makes you proud or happy that your spouse is a part of the military medical community.

For me, it's not the medical part specifically- but the coolest thing is being at the track which is right near the flagpole. At 5:30pm the MP's sound a bugle and shortly after that they take down the flag. It's absolutely fascinating- but everyone stops where ever they may be and salutes the flag. The runners and walkers stop and stand at attention, the people in their cars get out and salute, we civilians stand and most put their hands over their hearts, etc.

I think it's so cool that somewhere people will actually stop what they are doing to pay attention to the Flag.

Later-

Jenn

When we were in Germany, the military base movie theater played the national anthem before each film. I found myself standing with all of the soldiers, hand over my heart...feeling proud of America...there is nothing more powerful to me than the American Flag and the National Anthem!

Kris

Comment

When we lived in San Antonio, my oldest son played in a soccer league that practiced on Randolph AFB. Similar to Jenn's story, every time we had practice, 5:30 would roll around and no matter what was going on, all 300+ kids practicing soccer and their coaches would stop and salute the flag. We played there for two years and it never failed to touch my heart. Also, I can remember when the movie Air Force One came out -- seeing that in San Antonio (which at the time had 4 Air Force bases and 1 Army post) was quite an experience -- I have never heard more cheering from an audience.

From a medical standpoint, the thing I remember is waiting downstairs at the Army hospital for my husband to come down to meet me when he was on call and reading the memorial plaques on the wall that told of the acts of heroism by medical personnel during various wars. Many of these guys were just kids and they gave their lives for their country and their fellow soldiers. Also, last fall my husband had the privilege of participating in a humanitarian mission to Nicaragua, which is still devestated due to a hurricane that happened three years ago. The people there do not have even basic services restored, and they were so grateful to have doctors there for a little while.

We never dreamed when we got married that we would end up in the military and I don't know that we would do it again if we could go back, but I am proud that my husband is serving and I am proud to know so many other military doctors.
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

What great memories! I grew up on military bases and I think that you develop such a unique perspective and patriotism....

Kris

Comment

Working...
        X