Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Military-funded Medical School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military-funded Medical School

In Germany, the men are required to serve their armed forces for 18 months before college. Afterwards, the military picks up the entire tab for their university studies...and the only additional requirement is that the individual be a reservist until the age of 60.

How does the US military college program work? Do you serve one year for each year of college? If you take out the extra loans during residency what do you owe?

Kris

Kris-

Which aspect of the education process are you interested in? There are programs for undergrad and there are post grad options. Rick utilized both- he used the GI Bill to pay for undergrad and went to the military medical school which paid for everything. The GI Bill monies vary by years in service and what training is required along with what is available at the time of enlistment. There are other programs that are distance learning options on the various posts/bases around the world. The ROTC program pays a stipend for college and the graduates owe time back. (actually there's a new program designed to help people get their GEDs prior to enlistment which I think is VERY cool)

Comment

Jennifer, If you use the military to pay for your undergrad, do you owe a year for every year they pay for or for a certain dollar amount?

Does he owe since he went to a military med school? Wouldn't his time as a resident also count towards time served?

I think the GED program is great, btw....

Kris

Comment

The ROTC program as I understand it is year for year. The military academy graduates owe more time because they are 100% paid for. (six years)

The medical school (and law school, dental school and vet school for that matter!) programs are year for year, I think. Maybe some of the HPSP people can give you a better idea. But I know that the HPSP people that we know all owe 4 after residency which makes sense.

The USUHS grads owe seven after residency- but again, earned a salary and years toward retirement plus 100% tuition during med school. USUHS also has other programs. My friend's husband got his MS and PhD in Pharmacology in a 5 year program. He left the military during the program but was able to finish. They cut the stipend he recieved and they were dependent upon that as a source of income. (She worked with me making zero money)

So, in theory, a person could go to West Point, owe six- go to USUHS, owe seven and after residency and paying back time owed- retire!!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
        X