Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Rachel- FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachel- FYI

Rachel-

I downloaded this from the the Army Medical site but the same holds true for the Air Force. Rick (my husband) said to let you know that your fiance needs to get really active in figuring out where he wants to go and have some military selections picked out because, the military goes first- and they may send you guys someplace that you DO NOT want to go. As it was, he had to only pick military installations and got his third choice. (Luckily all of the places were decent) I'm pretty sure that you probably don't want to end up in Minot, ND. As you will see, it's the military that chooses who gets the civilian internships not vice versa.

"US Armed Services (Army, Navy, and Air Force) FYGME positions are filled by graduates of accredited schools of medicine. Only those individuals who have graduated from accredited US medical schools are eligible to apply for military first-year GME positions. The majority of the Armed Services' first-year GME positions are filled by individuals with an existing active duty service obligation for prior participation in funded educational school programs (HPSP, USUHS, ROTC). It is important to note that an individual seeking to be trained in an Armed Services medical treatment facility must be qualified for appointment and acceptance as a Commissioned officer in the Armed Services. An active duty service obligation is required for participation in Armed Services GME training programs. Acceptance of GME applications from civilian applicants may vary among the three Services. For more information, interested individuals should contact their local Armed Services recruiting office.

FYGME is directly responsible for administration of the Army FYGME portion of the Joint Service GME Selection Board (JSGMESB) whereby approximately 300 medical students apply for internship positions. It is also responsible for preparing request for orders to active duty, appointment letters and oaths for those selected for Army FYGME; and only appointment letters and oaths for those who were selected to perform their internship/residency in a civilian institution. All students graduation is verified by the FYGME office before entering active duty or their civilian internship."

Thanks for the info, Jenn! You're so thoughtful! Seriously, I have no idea if my fiance will get something in the military. Last week, he told me he is no longer eligible for any military residency b/c the deadline has passed. All he can do is a transitional year w/the military where he rotates in different fields. He finished up the app for that last week. Now, we just have to turn in the apps for the civilian residencies. I don't know what's going to happen. He told me he's just into applying and just wants to be somewhere where he'll learn and also where we'll be happy. He's thinking of doing a transitional year, and then re-applying for a residency program. Many of his classmates are taking this route b/c they just don't know what they want to go into. Now, he's doing a rotation in Internal Medicine at San Antonio. I am so glad he got there safely w/all of the things that have been happening. Aren't you there, too?

He told me there were Army National Guards w/guns at the airport. It is so scary but I also know Texas has major military installations.

How do you and your husband like the military? Is he planning to stay in it long? My fiance wants to get out after his obligation and have his own private practice.

I know it's a lot of moving but it's also a big adventure! Again, thank you for the info. I'll bring it up w/my fiance. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Take care,

Rachel

Comment

Hey there Rachel-

Well, if it's any consolation, you'll know about the military residency and/or transitional year before the end of the year. We found out about San Antonio right before Christmas.

I don't want you to think that I'm 'harping' on this but I hope that I have conveyed that life in the military doesn't always go as we hope.

We're staying in for the long haul- my favorite Army man has prior service- he was a Ranger (jumped out of perfectly good airplanes for a living. Even now he says he only feels comfortable on planes when he has a parachute!) and then he went to USUHS which means he owes seven years after residency/fellowship. The four USUHS years count toward retirement so- at this point he's already halfway to retirement and hasn't even started to pay back time. There are a few people in the program who are in the same boat. There are a couple West Point and Air Force Academy graduates who then attended civilian medical schools - they deferred their undergrad payback to combine with the medical payback and bam- we'll be crossing paths for a long time.

Essentially- the military will put their people where they need them- so, we have had friends from his medical school days who ended up in residencies they didn't want and then had to try to transfer programs. It all depends on the greater need of the service. But on the plus side- we don't owe $200,000 in medical school loans, either!

I like the idea of not knowing where we are going next. It's kinda fun- and as long as there is an airport or train station- I'm good to go. We'd like to go overseas, but who knows what'll be happening in another year and a half!

Hope this has helped.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
      X