Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If I had but a tenth of this effort.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I had but a tenth of this effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4B-r8KJhlE

They are such an awesome duo!
    I believe it was Mary Carrillo who did a fantastic piece, for Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports on HBO, about the two of them. I remeber watching it last year... Just terrific!
    Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

kind of puts things in perspective ...

Comment

Runner's World had an article about the Hoyts last year (2006), but I can't remember which month. It was a very inspiring article. Oddly, Dick's wife divorced him because all the time he was spending racing with their son. I thought that was a little strange. Why didn't mom race, too?

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper
          Oddly, Dick's wife divorced him because all the time he was spending racing with their son. I thought that was a little strange. Why didn't mom race, too?
          Actually, my first thought (after wiping away the tears) was "I wonder what mom does when they're doing all of this." I could easily see it overwhelming their marriage. While what he does is heartwarming and clearly demonstrates his love for his son - there needs to be life outside it too. My guess is that the dad poured his devastation at what his son would miss b/c of his condition into an all-encompassing obsession with endurance racing. Perhaps mom did race - once or twice, or perhaps physically she can't race -- this is an obsessive level of participation.

Comment

That is very sad indeed, like that Armstrong guy that left his wife and three little kids.

Question for Today: Balance, how do you keep yours?

My Answer: I don't currently, all kid, all wife, very little me and what I do for me is anything but life building. I need to work on this clearly.

Comment

Actually, it was Kristin who left Lance. She felt like her life was totally encompassed by Lance's career, and she missed having a career of her own. So, she moved from France (where she and Lance lived) back to Austin. The irony is that Lance "retired" two years later, and now lives in Austin.

Comment

Actually, it was Kristin who left Lance. She felt like her life was totally encompassed by Lance's career, and she missed having a career of her own. So, she moved from France (where she and Lance lived) back to Austin. The irony is that Lance "retired" two years later, and now lives in Austin.

Any chance they will get back together?

(Or that I'll have to move this hijack to the gossip forum? :> )
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Horrible when any one spouse puts 'their' life above the marriage.

In my book the marriage is first.

Comment

Oh....I don't think Lance Armstrong would be the posterboy for fidelity.

Comment

Originally posted by pstone

In my book the marriage is first.

*cough* physician spouse support site *cough*

Ummm, yah...it's terrible.

kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Yeah, someone has to explain to me what it is like for one spouse to have such a big, overwhelming job that sucks the marrow out of the family.

Kelly

ETA: BTW, I've only run three marathons and it does suck up a lot of the family's time and energy. This is why I only do one a year. This can be a very selfish hobby.
                        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by house elf

ETA: BTW, I've only run three marathons and it does suck up a lot of the family's time and energy. This is why I only do one a year. This can be a very selfish hobby.
                          Thread Hijack follows.

DH and I used to run together, but this was way before Med School and Residency. Now, I don't feel like it is selfish for me to train for marathons when DH is gone all the time. We don't have kids, so maybe that is what you are talking about.

I read about people quitting their jobs and divorcing spouses just to train for the Ironman. I thought that was pretty nuts. I mean it is just one race- they were willing to give up so much for one measly race. Maybe they are overtraining, or something, but does it really eat up that much of their lives, that they require utter solitude and massive amounts of time?

As far as Kristin and Lance go, I do not think that they will get back together. From what I have read, they have an amicable relationship. He visits the kids all the time. Kristin writes for Runners World, and she is always interviewing Lance for stories. She is very candid about their relationship.

Thread Hijack follows.

I think part of the problem with Kristin and Lance was that Kristin had a great career at a hot company (I have friends who worked at the same company), she owned her own house, her own sports coupe, etc. So she pretty much had her created this really nice life for herself, and gave it all up to marry Lance. Left her job, house, family, country... She admits she wasn't ready for that. I think she felt lost. Like she lost her identity. I can identify with feeling like I have lost myself, too. DH and I have discussed me moving away to pursue my career, and moving back together when residency ends. We wouldn't divorce, though. I think many couples today face this same dilemma. I don't hold this against her, except that she has three kids. Didn't she think about all this BEFORE getting pregnant??????

Comment

Didn't she think about all this BEFORE getting pregnant??????
                            Probably not. She probably thought that she would beat the odds and manage to carve out her own life pretty readily because she always had done so before. She underestimated how much parenting takes and how much his career would suck up.

Of course, I'm only extrapolating here....

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

And just to be devil's advocate...why didn't Lance Armstrong think about what it would mean to continue in competitive cycling BEFORE getting her pregnant?

Comment

Working...
                              X