Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anesthesia vs. OB.Gyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anesthesia vs. OB.Gyn

I'm a new MS4 who's trying to decide between pursuing a career in OB/Gyn vs. Anesthesia... Does anyone have any advice on the family (I'm married with 2 young sons) impact during residency for each of these specialties? Thank you!

When in doubt, stay on the ROAD to happiness:

Radiology
    Opthomology
    Anesthesiology
    Dermatology

Jenn

Comment

I would say that OB/GYN is far harder in residency and afterward than anesthesiology. If you would like both equally, go with anesthesia. You'll make more money too.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Anesthesiology!!

I am biased of course, but really.....Anesthesiology!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
          When in doubt, stay on the ROAD to happiness:

Radiology
          Opthomology
          Anesthesiology
          Dermatology

Jenn
          ITA!!!!!!

YES!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Unless you're committed to Ob, go with gas. Your family will thank you.

Comment

Speaking from a spouse perspective, I'd have to say anesthesia. But, really, you have to decide which you'd rather devote your career to. Sure, I wish my husband would've chosen anesthesia, particularly right now with Q3 call and 14 hour days. But, I know that he would not be happy sitting on the sidelines in the operating room. His happiness with his career is important.

At the same time, he did pick a "fairly" family friendly surgical specialty (if there is one). There are relatively few urologic emergencies, and most can be handled by ER staff until the morning.
              Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

You have to choose whichever one you will enjoy the most.

As the spouse of an OB resident, I know first hand that it is probably one of the most time intensive specialties. She definitely pushes that 80-hour threshold every week. But, I also know that she is incredibly happy doing what she's doing and we have all adjusted. I'd rather her be doing this and be happy as opposed to working a few better hours and being miserable. We have one son and another baby on the way and are doing just fine. It is what you make of it.

Any residency is going to be tough on you and the family, so you might as well pick something you know you will like, whether that's OB or anesthesia.

Comment

sitting on the sidelines in the operating room.
                  working a few better hours and being miserable.
                  Wow!

My wife hardly feels like she is 'sitting on the sidelines, or that she is miserable with her work' We talked about lots of specialties, fields, etc...and we (yes we!) chose anesthesia because it was both challenging, and family friendly, hardly the miserable sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by pstone
                    [quote:4ca0b]
                    Wow!

My wife hardly feels like she is 'sitting on the sidelines, or that she is miserable with her work' We talked about lots of specialties, fields, etc...and we (yes we!) chose anesthesia because it was both challenging, and family friendly, hardly the miserable sidelines.[/quote:4ca0b]

I think for some people anesthesia would be miserable. It would be for my dh as much as I begged and pleaded for him to do it. If you think either anesthesia or OB would be a good option for you, CHOOSE ANESTHESIOLOGY. 100 times a day I wish my dh had followed the ROAD, but Noooooo, big shot egobutt had to be a surgeon.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I suppose it is not worth the effort to even try to deal with the "we are the only true doctors" mentality.

I just know I am happy that my wife chose family over ego, makes me think she has her priorities right. I know I chose family over my career, which to me is way more exciting than medicine, takes a man to put ego aside.

Comment

[quote:9f475]
                        Wow!

My wife hardly feels like she is 'sitting on the sidelines, or that she is miserable with her work' We talked about lots of specialties, fields, etc...and we (yes we!) chose anesthesia because it was both challenging, and family friendly, hardly the miserable sidelines.[/quote:9f475]

I never meant that anesthesia isn't as challenging or is "miserable" on the sidelines. I just meant that my husband would rather be in there operating than dosing a drug. For him, it would be sitting on the sidelines. He would want to be in there with the scalpel doing the actual procedure. That's why he chose surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Urowife
                          [quote:a7073]
                          Wow!

My wife hardly feels like she is 'sitting on the sidelines, or that she is miserable with her work' We talked about lots of specialties, fields, etc...and we (yes we!) chose anesthesia because it was both challenging, and family friendly, hardly the miserable sidelines.
                          I never meant that anesthesia isn't as challenging or is "miserable" on the sidelines. I just meant that my husband would rather be in there operating than dosing a drug. For him, it would be sitting on the sidelines. He would want to be in there with the scalpel doing the actual procedure. That's why he chose surgery.[/quote:a7073]

I hesitate to "chime" in here. Oh what the hay!!!

From my experience, people who can be happy doing ANYTHING other than surgery should not go into surgery. That doesn't mean they are "less than" as far as the doctor pecking order goes. Quite the contrary in my book. They are merely making a personal choice that is the best for their situation. More power to them.

Further, I do not think that all surgeons go into this speciality due to EGO -- but there is a fair number IMO -- lets be honest here. That certainly is an element in the decision making process for some surgeons. Absolutely.

With that being said I think my DH really NEEDED to be a surgeon and a chest surgeon at that. Did ego play a role? Yes...but a smaller one than you might think. The good news is that while training TOTALLY SUCKED MORE THAN I COULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED, he chose a family friendly private practice job post training. DH works LESS than a lot of Family practice docs we know. There CAN be surgeons who place a high value on their family - -just not necessarily during training.

Finally, and I know I'm going to piss a few people off here by saying this, supporting your spouse to "choose a career path they are happy with" BEFORE kids has very, very, very, very different implications when you are a parent. Training pre kids for me -- no biggie. Training post kids for me --- HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!
                          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Well said, Flynn.

I can only hope that we are able to find a family friendly urology practice once all this training/Navy stuff is done. But, from what I've heard, it sounds doable.

Comment

I reiterate, you've got to do what suits you best. Seriously. You must. Residency sucks regardless of the specialty. Picking one that has "worse" hours doesn't mean you are sacrificing family. I would much rather my wife be doing something that makes her happy than doing something that makes her miserable just so she could be home an hour more a day. I know she is there for us, she knows she is there for us, and that’s what matters. You think she wants to not see us for days on end while she is on the night shift? Not at all. But training sucks regardless. And I truly understand taking one for the team -- my career is a mere reflection of its former self because of her training. I am perfectly fine with that, and kids helped me realize that I am perfectly fine with it even more. But I never in a million years would ask my wife to do something she doesn't want to do so she could have "family" hours. It wouldn't benefit any of us, and I'm sure most of you would agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X