Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Male medspouse roll call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't, but I've read Pollan's work, is it similar?
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Pollan is in the documentary. I think you can watch it online on PBS...maybe even you tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Momo View Post
        Pollan is in the documentary. I think you can watch it online on PBS...maybe even you tube.
        I put it on my netflix queue, I'll let you know what I think. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by reciprocity View Post
          If the question is more of "why are the demographics of the forum not reflecting the demographics of the practice of medicine" I think that's probably more to do with the different roles that male spouses of doctors and doctors-to-be tend to play (which, in turn, would reflect the different career paths that female doctors tend to follow), which I think would be a fascinating discussion probably.
          This is an interesting topic. While women make up about half of all med students and residents now, I'd bet that a smaller percentage of them are married compared to the men. I don't have any actual stats, but based on my own observations and things I've read, it's also more likely that they are married to another doctor or someone with a similarly demanding career. It seems to be a well documented social trend that women in advanced careers limit their marriage prospects in ways that men don't.

Of course I don't mean to imply that those of us with less education than our spouses and who are involved in this forum are somehow inferior. I just think all this helps explain why you don't see many male spouses here, despite those gender equality numbers in training.

Comment

I think that is probably very accurate bobk. As a corollary, I think men are going to be less likely to seek out support in this way, even if they do need it. Furthermore, male spouses will be less likely to have children (as their spouses are more likely to delay childbearing while in training), which can be a huge impetus for joining.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
              Furthermore, male spouses will be less likely to have children (as their spouses are more likely to delay childbearing while in training), which can be a huge impetus for joining.
              Very true and that definitely speaks to my experience with the training years. Before the kids came along, the toughest thing for me was loneliness. That can be very hard, but there are lots of ways to cope with it. You can hang out with friends, spend more time at work, volunteer, read, watch TV, etc. Raising children is a whole different beast. As a "single" parent, you desperately need some time to yourself and support from your spouse, but the training lifestyle doesn't really allow them to help significantly, no matter how much they want to. The stress of that situation is what drove me here in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Momo View Post
                I think it could be fascinating to hear about soybean lawsuits!
                sadly, you've called my bluff, there's really not much I can share about a currently-pending case...

it's a lot of fun (for me because I'm a big nerd)
                - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                  This is an interesting topic. While women make up about half of all med students and residents now, I'd bet that a smaller percentage of them are married compared to the men. I don't have any actual stats, but based on my own observations and things I've read, it's also more likely that they are married to another doctor or someone with a similarly demanding career. It seems to be a well documented social trend that women in advanced careers limit their marriage prospects in ways that men don't.

Of course I don't mean to imply that those of us with less education than our spouses and who are involved in this forum are somehow inferior. I just think all this helps explain why you don't see many male spouses here, despite those gender equality numbers in training.
                  Originally posted by bobk View Post
                  Very true and that definitely speaks to my experience with the training years. Before the kids came along, the toughest thing for me was loneliness. That can be very hard, but there are lots of ways to cope with it. You can hang out with friends, spend more time at work, volunteer, read, watch TV, etc. Raising children is a whole different beast. As a "single" parent, you desperately need some time to yourself and support from your spouse, but the training lifestyle doesn't really allow them to help significantly, no matter how much they want to. The stress of that situation is what drove me here in the first place.
                  That was my initial thought too, although I've much less personal experience to back it up. I was also considering the possibility that because of the demands of having children that more female doctors might tend to fall into more family-friendly practice areas, and thus it might decrease overall the number of men who would be inclined to seek out a community like this. That's what happens frequently in large law practices - the "mommy track" as it were.
                  - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Of all the female residents that we know who have had kids during residency (DH's program is SUPER kid heavy), only two ever had husbands who were at-home parents. And Mike and Dave were always our token dudes at the spouse luncheon crap. Those guys were awesome and I miss them and their families. The rest of the husbands of female residents with kids all worked; lawyers, a couple professors (we're in a town with a couple major universities), teachers, one is a phD student in aerospace engineering, etc.

I guess that's my overly loquacious way of saying that of the shitton of female med peeps who have kids, only a couple of their spouses are doing the at-home parent gig. So, probably far less likely for dudes to need "the bus", I guess.

Comment

I agree with everything.

Comment

Hi guys. Another male med spouse here.

Comment

Originally posted by sctdixon View Post
                          Hi guys. Another male med spouse here.
                          Welcome! Please take a moment to start a thread in the Welcome forum and tell us more about yourself! While we are mostly a bunch of biddies around here, we welcome the male perspective.
                          Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                            Welcome! Please take a moment to start a thread in the Welcome forum and tell us more about yourself! While we are mostly a bunch of biddies around here, we welcome the male perspective.
                            He did, it is the "Hello from Peru" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                              He did, it is the "Hello from Peru" thread.
                              And I obviously need more caffeine or sleep. Sorry!
                              Kris

Comment

I'm here!

Originally posted by Sam_ View Post
                                How many of us are regular readers if not regular posters?

There's me (very infrequent poster, occasional reader, new).

There's RocketBoy and william, who are both new (yes?)

And the old guard is...?

Comment

Working...
                                X