Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What IS the hardest part of being a male medical spouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, no one cares that she works over 80h a week and can fix a fracture using only a bobby pin and 2 peanuts
    Well that may be impressive, of course, but only if they're shelled peanuts.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Too funny Fluffhead!
      I'm late chiming in to what Kelly said, but I've often wondered why the guys seem to complain less than we do...is it biological???
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
        why the guys seem to complain less than we do
        well N=3 is hardly a statistically significant sample size, but I'd say that it's probably the whole macho, no pain no gain attitude that we exemplify.

That and the fact that we complain all night to our wives, so we have nothing left to say here.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Quote:
          Of course, no one cares that she works over 80h a week and can fix a fracture using only a bobby pin and 2 peanuts

Well that may be impressive, of course, but only if they're shelled peanuts.
          They ARE shelled...and it usually takes me at least 3.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

...well N=3 is hardly a statistically significant sample size...
            I will complain more if you can promise me that there will be no more math!

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot you were a math guy Fluffhead! I suppose your statistical analysis is accurate, but you might as well go with the theory that it is due to your machismo. :ra:
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

So far in my relationship with my fiance, the hardest part for me has been dealing with her Mother. She expects me to have a job that will make the same salary and have the same status. I have gotten that alot already and we aren't even married yet. And a close second runner up, is not being able to spend time together, this is amplified because we are long distance at the moment.

Anyways that thus far is my 2 cents on the topic.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by poohbear_chris
                  So far in my relationship with my fiance, the hardest part for me has been dealing with her Mother.
                  Don't even go there
                  But we solved that with caller ID - I just don't deal with her mother.
                  (denial ain't just a river in egypt!)
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

Keeping up with them

I would have to say that staying on top of what your mate is doing is the most difficult for the medical spouse. Who can keep current with their schedule, classes, tests, meetings, travel and rotations?

In our busy lives, we seldom think about the goings on in our mates day to day. We ask, "How was your day, Dear?" but do not truly understand or have the time to devote to understanding what they go through each day.

Make every effort to be involved in their day. It may not be realized at first. However, they will look back and see that you were there every day!

Comment

I have a new one -
                      It's when I'm carrying my large baby in his carseat, chasing my 2-year old to prevent him from being run over by the cell-phone toting minivan driver, while holding my 5 year old's hand AND 2 ponies, and some random wanker says "You're Mr. Mom today, huh?" with a knowing wink.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

some random wanker says "You're Mr. Mom today, huh?" with a knowing wink.
                        ...or walks up to the kid being the best behaved, stopping all progress toward normalcy (whatever that is...) and says to the child 'You get to spend all day with Daddy today!'

Comment

I don't have to deal with the Mr Mom comments yet, but if I hear one more MD/JD couple comment I can't be held responsible for my actions.
                          - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Working...
                          X