Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wife's first day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife's first day

So it looks like I'm the resident newbie here. My Wife starts Med School at OSU in Tulsa today, well this week is orientation and next week the real fun begins. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and get some feedback. We don't have any kids yet so I am wondering how tough this is going to be. I have heard that the first 2 years I pretty much won't see her very often, is this true?

Peace,
    Craig

I guess that depends on how often you see her now. It was a big switch for us to not have evenings and weekends completely free. (My husband worked a "regular" job for a few years before going to med school). Personally, we found the first six months or so of medical school to be the hardest. The first six months were hard because it was such a transition for him to go back to school and be in a rather competitive environment -- he felt out of practice for being a student. I think that second year and fourth year were the best. Second year because he really had the studying part down. Fourth year because it is just a little more laid back and applying to internal medicine residencies wasn't all that stressful (compared to the derm residency application the following year ).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
    You're in good company, there are lots of medical spouses here without kids and a handful of great Mr. MDs.

Comment

Ah...that answers my question in the Introduction area!

Again, welcome, to this forum/community. It is a great place to come and get lots of input and advice from experienced spouses having gone through the very same situations. It is a great outlet and several of us have saved thousands of dollars that would have gone to a therapist! (just kidding...a little). OSU-COM, although I am not sure that it what it is called now...OSU Health Sciences Center and something, something... Anyway, it is a great school and your wife will get an excellent education and training. My wife is a 2nd yr pediatric resident in Kansas City, she stayed and did an intern year there at Tulsa Regional Med Center, as to be recognized by the AOA. We had one child when she was a 4th year med student, in January before graduation. We recently had our second this past April.

There are many days ahead that you will not see your wife for what seems to be weeks. A little tip, the study rooms, although still at the school make for a pleasant secluded area for dinner for two on the long nights studying. I used to try and surprise my wife with take out, or something to recharge her on the late nights!

Well, I am sure this is more than what you bargained for, but welcome again and look forward to getting to know you from your posts.
      Are you from Tulsa originally?

Comment

Welcome Craig -
        We didn't get married till the summer before year 3, when my wife was finishing her phd, so I can't tell you about the first 2 years. But in my experience, and in others that I've spoken with, third year was pretty rough, because it's the first intense clinical experience, you're dealing with call, etc.
        Fourth year was great.
        I think you'll find a few sympathetic ears here, though this forum tends to go in waves. Very quiet at times.
        I'm usually around, if you have to vent.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

wow!

All these replies, and so fast! It's good to know there are people out there who will know wha tI'm going through!

gmdcblack, thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of that! I may have to put that one away and suprise her with it in a few weeks!

Craig

Comment

Welcoem

Hey..welcome aboard...I hope things are still going well as you guys make the transition into this great medical journey

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
            X